NRHM scam: Court raps Uttar Pradesh for delay in prosecution (Lead)August 23rd, 2012 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 23 (IANS) The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court Thursday rapped the Akhilesh Yadav government for delaying sanction for prosecution of accused doctors and officials in the multi-crore rupee National Rural Health Mission scam.
The court told the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to wrap up the probe in the case within 20 days.
It also directed the state government to sanction the prosecution of the accsued government servants without further delay.
After summoning Principal Secretary (Health) Sanjay Agarwal, a bench of Justice Imtiaz Murtaza and Justice Ashvani Kumar Singh asked him why the government was dilly-dallying on the go-ahead for prosecution of the accused officials.
The court directed the principal secretary to ensure that the sanction was granted and and sought a report Aug 29.
The court directed the CBI to present before it a detailed progress report on the investigations into the scam and the murder of two chief medical officers.
The CBI had sent a request letter to the Uttar Pradesh government May 23 seeking prosecution of 22 doctors and Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Pradeep Shukla in the scam.
But the files since then have been shuttling between the health and the law department.
Proximity of the accused to political masters was the stumbling block, official sources said.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Wednesday said that “some innocent people have been charged in the scam”.
This has led to the speculation that the state government was unwilling to give the CBI the green signal to prosecute the officials.
- UP gives go ahead to prosecution of tainted doctors, officials - Aug 27, 2012
- NHRM scam: Court asks Uttar Pradesh to explain delay - Aug 23, 2012
- Court comes down hard on Himachal government - Aug 15, 2011
- Court raps CBI on rural health scheme probe - Aug 30, 2012
- Make Himachal college's building operational: Court - Aug 02, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh questioned on health scheme funds - Jul 18, 2011
- UP foodgrain scam: Apex court seeks CBI's response (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- Soldiers killed five in cold blood, CBI tells apex court - Mar 19, 2012
- Special CBI courts to be set up in Lucknow, Ghaziabad - Jun 09, 2012
- High court dismisses ex-judge's plea against prosecution - Nov 14, 2011
- Court rejects CBI probe plea in medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- PMO rapped on Swamy plea, government gets prosecution deadline (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Himachal pulled up for inaction against corrupt officials - Aug 19, 2011
- CBI files chargesheet against judge in Chandigarh bribery scandal (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, crore, government servants, health and the law, imtiaz, indian administrative service, medical officers, murtaza, national rural health, national rural health mission, political masters, principal secretary, report aug, request letter, sanjay, shukla, uttar pradesh government