Now, slipper chucked at Bollywood actor JeetendraApril 21st, 2009 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 21 (IANS) The footwear-chucking infection seems to be spreading. Bollywood actor Jeetendra was the latest target of a slipper thrown at him during a Congress party road show in a Maharashtra town Tuesday.
Jeetendra was addressing a road show organised by the Congress candidate Manikrao Gavit in the town of Nandurbar, around 375 km from here, when someone from the crowd chucked a slipper at him.
“There were over 3,000 people in the road show at Jalata Bazaar. Somebody from the crowd threw a slipper in the actor’s direction,” said police Inspector B.M. Pawar, adding that the incident took place at 1.45 in the afternoon.
Party activists immediately pounced on the offender - identified as Dilip Ingle - and took him away. The motive behind his slipper chucking was not clear.
An official from Nandurbar police station said no complaint has been registered with them.
Police said they have deployed adequate security in the area, which goes to the polls Thursday.
The road show passed off peacefully, Pawar said.
Jeetendra, the father of television czarina Ekta Kapoor and actor Tusshar Kapoor, is the latest of Bollywood stars entering the election campaign trail in the state.
The Maharashtra campaign scene has been considerably glamourised by the presence of Salman Khan, Urmila Matondkar, Ayesha Takia, Raveena Tandon and others from the Marathi film industry.
On April 16, a wooden ‘khadaun’ or toe-knob sandal was flung at Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) senior leader L.K. Advani during a rally in Madhya Pradesh’s Katni district.
Earlier this month, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Congress MP Naveen Jindal were targeted by people who expressed their anger by throwing footwear at them.
- Bollywood actor Jeetendra becomes latest shoe gate target - Apr 21, 2009
- Taps stolen from MP's house - Oct 03, 2011
- Footwear flung at Advani at public meet (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Previous attacks on leaders (To go with: 'Ink attack stuns Ramdev, attacker faces mob fury') - Jan 14, 2012
- Shoes thrown at others, Pawar first to be assaulted (Timeline) - Nov 24, 2011
- First session of 15th Lok Sabha to begin tomorrow - May 31, 2009
- Sharad Pawar targets Maharashtra government - Jun 02, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan sworn in Maharashtra chief minister (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- New tax on domestic LPG in Maharashtra rolled back - Mar 30, 2012
- Online campaign against 'untouchability' in Rajasthan - Jul 12, 2012
- Online campaign against 'untouchability' in Rajasthan (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress hopes for more ministerial berths - May 18, 2009
- I've made mistakes, but satisfied overall: Tusshar Kapoor - Mar 08, 2012
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Films are like vacation for me: Ekta Kapoor - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: adequate security, ayesha takia, bollywood stars, campaign scene, congress candidate, congress party, czarina, ekta kapoor, gavit, home minister, jindal, l k advani, nandurbar, p chidambaram, party activists, raveena tandon, salman khan, target, tusshar kapoor, urmila matondkar