Now scramble for Rajya Sabha seats in Madhya Pradesh BJPJune 3rd, 2009 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 3 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Madhya Pradesh is faced with the problem of too many candidates for too few seats — a large number of party leaders are vying to get nominated for the two vacant Rajya Sabha seats.
And the problem has been confounded after the BJP was defeated in 13 of the constituencies in the recent general elections — many party bigwigs who lost are now eyeing the Rajya Sabha.
The seats fell vacant after Rajya Sabha MPs Sushma Swaraj and Narendra Singh Tomar were elected from Vidisha and Bhind Lok Sabha seats respectively.
“The defeat of the BJP on a good number of Lok Sabha seats in the state has led to a number of party heavyweights being added to the list of probables with the result that those already in the race for Rajya Sabha would face more difficulties in making it to the Upper House as its members,” a party source said.
“Three legislators - Jaswant Singh Hada, Babulal Verma and Santosh Joshi - have already met Tomar, who is BJP state president, to push the name of Thaverchand Gehlot for Rajya Sabha seat. Gehlot lost the Lok Sabha poll from Dewas parliamentary constituency,” a party leader said on condition of anonymity.
The other defeated candidates whose supporters are keen to see their leaders in Rajya Sabha include Satyanarayan Jatia, Laxminarayan Pandey, Dileep Singh Bhuria and also Faggan Singh Kulaste.
Tomar said: “Everyone wants to get some position but it is for the party’s central leadership to decide on the nominations on the basis of merit.”
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- 'Tainted' BJP leader files Rajya Sabha papers - Mar 19, 2012
- Smriti Irani nominated for Rajya Sabha from Gujarat - Jul 09, 2011
- Kalraj Mishra quits Rajya Sabha - Mar 21, 2012
- Prabhat Jha is new Madhya Pradesh BJP chief - May 08, 2010
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- Six in fray for two Rajya Sabha seats - Mar 19, 2012
- Himachal BJP recommends names for Rajya Sabha - Mar 14, 2012
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- Surprise leads for Congress in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh - May 16, 2009
- Notification issued for UP Rajya Sabha seats - Mar 12, 2012
- Tribals, SCs return to Congress in Madhya Pradesh - May 18, 2009
- Nadda elected to Rajya Sabha from Himachal - Mar 22, 2012
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: Police file supplementary chargesheet - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bigwigs, bjp, central leadership, general elections, heavyweights, joshi, lok sabha poll, lok sabha seats, narendra singh, parliamentary constituency, party leader, party leaders, party source, rajya sabha, santosh, state president, sushma swaraj, upper house, vidisha