Now, Paswan holds Congress culpable in Babri demolitionApril 20th, 2009 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, April 20 (IANS) Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chief Ram Vilas Paswan Monday defended his Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) colleague Lalu Prasad’s statement that both the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress were responsible for the 1992 demolition of the Babri Masjid.
“What wrong has he (Lalu Prasad) said,” Paswan asked.
Taking a further dig at the Congress, which leads the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) of which both Lalu Prasad and Paswan are key members, Paswan said about the political situation in his constituency Hajipur: “What is the Congress doing? When they know that they cannot garner even 2,000 votes in Hajipur, why did they put up a candidate against me? What strength are they trying to prove?”
The RJD and the LJP fell out with the Congress over the issue of seat sharing in Bihar — a miffed Congress went ahead to contest Bihar on its own while the RJD and the LJP tied up with the Samajwadi Party to form an electoral alliance for the 120 Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
Widening the gulf with the Congress, Lalu Prasad had said April 17 in Darbhanga in Bihar that the Congress was responsible for the demolition of the Babri mosque.
“The Congress failed to protect the Babri Masjid as it did nothing to prevent it. Not only the BJP, the Congress is also equally responsible for the demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya.”
A large mob converged in Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh and destroyed the 16th century mosque Dec 6, 1992, claiming it was built at the very place where Lord Ram was born. The Narasimha Rao led-Congress government was then in power in New Delhi while Kalyan Singh presided over a BJP government in Lucknow.
While Congress wondered why Lalu Prasad had kept quiet about it so long, the BJP said the Congress, the RJD and the Samajwadi Party were playing politics on the Ayodhya issue to cater to a particular vote bank.
- Rivals in Bihar polls worried ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 29, 2010
- Now, Paswan blames Congress for Babri Masjid demolition - Apr 20, 2009
- Campaign picks up for Bihar polls - Oct 16, 2010
- Nitish Kumar's alliance heads for victory in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- JD-U, BJP take early lead in Bihar (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- RJD paves way for tie-up with Congress in Bihar - Oct 18, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict has complicated Bihar poll scene (Comment) - Oct 09, 2010
- 19 years after Babri demolition, Ram temple on backburner? - Dec 05, 2011
- In Bihar, RJD leaders feel need for tie-up with Congress - Oct 22, 2010
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- Keep Lalu-Paswan out of UPA, says Bihar Congress - May 08, 2009
- Lalu blames Congress too for Babri razing (Roundup) - Apr 18, 2009
- Bihar poll-second phase: Caste arithmetic to play decisive role (Curtain Raiser) - Oct 23, 2010
- JD-U, BJP claim victory in Bihar, opposition struggles (Third Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- LJP leaders blame poll debacle on alliance with RJD - Jun 08, 2009
Tags: babri masjid, babri mosque, bharatiya janata party, bjp government, congress government, darbhanga, electoral alliance, kalyan singh, ljp, lok sabha seats, lord ram, lucknow, narasimha rao, playing politics, political situation, progressive alliance, ram vilas paswan, Samajwadi Party, vilas, vote bank