Now, chicken packets to woo voters in Andhra PradeshApril 15th, 2009 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 15 (IANS) With the poll panel and police in Andhra Pradesh making things difficult for political parties to distribute cash and liquor, candidates are coming out with novel methods - like distributing packets of chicken to woo the voters just hours before the polling.
Following a complaint by the main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP), police seized several packets of chicken Wednesday in Narsingpur village of Karimnagar district. The packets, containing half to 1 kg of chicken, were reportedly sent by ruling Congress party workers to woo voters.
The state is notorious for distribution of cash and liquor by political parties among voters. This time the poll official and police with the help of income tax and excise departments have made things difficult for them.
The police have already seized over Rs.250 million (Rs.25 crore) in cash during search of vehicles across the state during last two weeks.
The police Tuesday seized Rs.12.6 million (Rs.1.26 crore), the highest in a single day. “Attempts are being made to distribute cash and liquor but we are on alert to foil them,” said state Chief Electoral Officer I.V. Subba Rao.
Police, income tax and excise authorities are maintaining tight vigil at 752 check posts opened for areas going to polls in the first phase.
Similarly, large number of liquor bottles and cricket kits meant for distribution among voters were also seized.
The election commission has already imposed restrictions on manufacture and sale of liquor to ensure that it is not used to influence voters.
- Election Commission is winner in Punjab polls (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 04, 2012
- 2,148 candidates in fray for first phase of polls in Andhra - Apr 15, 2009
- It is raining cash in Andhra by-elections - Jun 06, 2012
- Rs.20 crore unaccounted cash seized in Tamil Nadu - Mar 26, 2011
- Poll panel keeping eye on large cash withdrawals - Jan 16, 2012
- Poll panel warns of stern action on cash-for-votes - Apr 10, 2011
- Money, money... how moolah gets around in Tamil Nadu polls - Apr 12, 2011
- Cash for votes: Tamil Nadu panel warns of putting off polls - Apr 12, 2011
- Voting on amid tight security in Andhra by-polls (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Only 10 vehicles for campaigning: Poll panel - Jan 03, 2012
- Poll panel makes huge seizure of unaccounted cash in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 14, 2012
- A tale of drinks and drugs as Punjab votes - Jan 29, 2012
- UP elections sans fanfare this time - Jan 29, 2012
- Cash for votes:Bribes or sharing of spoils? - Apr 20, 2011
- Virtual tools in Tamil Nadu's real political battle - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: 6 million, attempts, authorities, check posts, chief electoral officer, congress party, cricket, crore, election commission, excise, income tax, kg, liquor bottles, novel methods, opposition, political parties, rs 1, rs 250, single day, vigil