Now, a food packet flung at a politicianApril 19th, 2009 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 19 (IANS) Congress Rajya Sabha MP Shantaram Naik Saturday joined the growing list of politicians dodging “missiles” from the audience, after a food packet narrowly missed him during an election rally in a south Goa town late Saturday evening.
Naik, who hails from South Goa, was addressing an election rally in the mining town of Curchorem, 60 kms from Panaji, when a Congress party worker, identified as Rama Desai, who was incidentally seated in the reporters’ box, flung a food packet containing biryani, distributed to the workers, at him.
As he flung the packet which narrowly missed Naik, Desai shouted: “Tumhi sogle fatting (all of you are liars).”
Desai was immediately whisked by the police after the incident, before being booked under section 151 of the Indian Penal Code.
Speaking to IANS, Naik, Goa’s only Rajya Sabha MP, said that he had asked the police only to enquire into the matter and not file a formal complaint against Desai.
“The man had invited me for a public function, which I could not attend due to other obligations,” Naik said, when asked if he knew his “assailant”.
In the recent past, senior Indian politicians like Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani have been the target of things thrown by members of their audience. While a journalist flung his shoe at the home minister during a press conference, a wooden sandal was thrown at Advani by a BJP worker during a public rally last week.
- BJP leaders should join Naxalites: Congress - Feb 16, 2012
- Congress MP uses dialogue to describe Parrikar's work ethic - Aug 11, 2012
- BJP minister's death postpones Goa budget presentation - Mar 21, 2012
- Congress takes potshots at caste rivalry in Goa BJP - Jan 30, 2012
- Yeddyurappa should be jailed for corruption, says Congress leader - Jan 29, 2011
- Leakage of Goa mining report to be raised in parliament - Nov 21, 2011
- Ministry orders study on Goa's controversial mining - Aug 23, 2011
- Mining lobby, politicians tried to hijack Hegde's events: Activists - Apr 26, 2011
- Advani to take up Goa mining scam in roadshow - Oct 19, 2011
- Gadkari used Sudarshan as proxy to attack Sonia: Congress MP - Nov 12, 2010
- Navy illegally occupying land in Goa, says Congress MP - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP trying to pressurise CBI: Congress MP - May 11, 2010
- Rename India as Bharat, says Congress MP - Aug 09, 2012
- Privatisation of loss-making Goa port plant only a last resort: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- Congress names Ahmed Patel, Naik for Rajya Sabha polls - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, congress party, election rally, food packet, home minister, indian penal code, indian politicians, l k advani, late saturday evening, naik, p chidambaram, prime ministerial candidate, public rally, rajya sabha, section 151, shantaram, sogle, south goa, target, wooden sandal