Not worried about low turnout: Nitish Kumar (Lead)May 7th, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 7 (IANS) Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Thursday said people in Bihar were voting for development and peace and that a final voter turnout of 45-50 percent would be encouraging.
“I am not worried about low voter turnout. Everyone has not got a voter identity card. It’s summer season and everyone is not at their places,” Nitish Kumar told reporters here.
“It’s fair polling this time, there is no incidence of booth capturing or forced voting. And 45-50 percent polling in the state is very encouraging for us,” he said.
“People have been voting for development and peace; it is a positive shift in Bihar,” Nitish Kumar, who is also the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief, said after voting at his ancestral home Bakhtiyarpur near here.
Nitish Kumar left Patna by train in the morning for Bakhtiyarpur, 55 km from here where his mother and elder brother live.
Bakhtiyarpur falls under the Patna Saheb constituency, one of the three of Bihar’s 40 constituencies going to the polls in the fourth phase of the elections.
The contest in Patna Saheb is between two showbiz stars — Bharatiya Janata Party’s Shatrughan Sinha and Congress’ Shekhar Suman.
Voting began at 7 a.m. amid heavy security in view of the threat of Maoist violence.
About 4.89 million voters in the three constituencies of state are eligible to exercise their franchise to decide the fate of 57 candidates.
- People in Bihar voting for peace, says Nitish Kumar - May 07, 2009
- Lalu confident of RJD's good performance in Bihar - May 07, 2009
- Sporadic trouble in round four of Bihar polls (Roundup) - Nov 01, 2010
- 33 percent voting in Bihar polls, FIR against Lalu (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Peaceful voting on in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- It's Nitish all the way in urban Patna - Oct 31, 2010
- Polling peaceful but slow in Bihar (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Over 50 percent turnout in Bihar poll final phase, two cops killed (Night Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Bihar polling ends peacefully, 40 percent turnout expected (Second Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Nitish Kumar's mother cremated - Jan 02, 2011
- Bihar verdict will decide high-stakes battle - Nov 23, 2010
- Nearly 25 percent voting in Bihar polls (Third Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- It's Shotgun versus Shaker (Poll curtainraiser - Bihar) - May 06, 2009
- Over 50 percent voting in final phase of Bihar polls (Fourth Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Four million vote in peaceful fifth phase of Bihar polls (Intro-Roundup) - Nov 09, 2010
Tags: ancestral home, chief minister, constituencies, constituency, development and peace, elder brother, fate, fourth phase, franchise, heavy security, janata party, jd, low voter turnout, maoist, nitish kumar, shatrughan, shatrughan sinha, shekhar suman, showbiz stars, violence