Not running for president, Hilary Clinton reiteratesOctober 17th, 2011 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 17 (IANS) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reiterated Monday that she would not run for president again, but would turn to a life of writing and teaching after retirement.
In an interview broadcast on the NBC TV network’s “Today” show, the top US envoy repeated her intention of leaving her current post after President Barack Obama ended his first tenure in early 2013, Xinhua reported.
Asked whether she would run for president again in 2016, Clinton said: “No, No.”
“I’m very privileged to have had the opportunities to serve my country, and I am really old fashioned,” she explained.
“I feel I’ve made my contribution. I’ve done the best I can. But now, you know, I want to try some other things. I want to get back to writing and maybe some teaching, working on women and girls around the world.”
Clinton pitted herself against Obama in 2008 for the Democratic presidential nomination but failed. She accepted Obama’s offer and took office as his secretary of state in January 2009.
Told by NBC anchor that people will not believe that she is locking it on running for office ever again, Clinton replied: ” They’ll have to just watch and wait.”
“I have made my contribution. I’m very grateful I’ve had a chance to serve. But I think it’s time, you know, for others to step up,” said Clinton.
She claimed that despite very difficult circumstances when the Obama administration started its job, it has “reasserted American leadership”.
“We are going to lead despite other countries coming to the forefront. We are going to lead because America is destined to lead,” she said, adding whoever sees an America that is in decline is “badly mistaken”.
However, she acknowledged that “we do have to get our own house in order — our economic house, our political house. But at the same time we cannot abdicate leadership around the world, because when we do it does comes back to bite”.
- Jindal, Hillary discount White House runs - Nov 22, 2010
- No more government jobs for Hillary Clinton (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Clinton won't stay on even if Obama gets second term - Mar 17, 2011
- Clinton not to be Secretary of State under re-elected Obama - Mar 17, 2011
- I have no interest in Indian politics: Chatwal - Mar 31, 2011
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Hillary Clinton vows not to run for Presidency again on Today Show - Oct 13, 2009
- WikiLeaks-stung US reaches out to India, says you are world leader (Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- Bill Clinton fires up the Democrats for Obama - Sep 06, 2012
- Hillary Clinton hopes to see a woman president, but wouldn't run again - Jul 27, 2009
- Indian-Americans get key spots at Democratic meet - Sep 06, 2012
- Romney lands in controversy with 'birther' joke - Aug 25, 2012
- Focus on ties with India: Republican contender - Sep 30, 2011
- Don't hate Obama, defeat him: Bobby Jindal - Jun 18, 2011
- From Hillary Clinton to Romney's dog, Obama pokes fun at all - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: american leadership, anchor, barack obama, broadcast, circumstances, decline, democratic presidential nomination, forefront, girls around the world, hilary clinton, hillary clinton, intention, nbc, nbc tv, retirement, secretary of state, tenure, tv network, us secretary of state, xinhua