Not leaving NDA: Nitish Kumar rebuffs Congress overturesMay 5th, 2009 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 5 (IANS) With the Congress tactically wooing him, Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Nitish Kumar denied Tuesday for the second time in as many days any move to join the Congress-led UPA and asserted he would never leave the NDA.
A day after saying there was no truth in Congress leader Sheila Dikshit’s statement that the JD-U leader could switch over to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) after the polls, Nitish Kumar had to ward off overtures from Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
To the praise he received from Gandhi, the Bihar chief minister said: “I am thankful to him and nothing more. We are in NDA (National Democratic Alliance), we are part of NDA, and we are working hard for the victory of NDA. So, if somebody praises, nothing should be read into it.”
Earlier in the day, Rahul Gandhi had praised Nitish Kumar for the developmental work done in Bihar.
“I am not saying that only Congress has leaders (who have done good work), there are leaders in the opposition…. Nitish (Kumar), for example,” Gandhi said at a press conference.
- Rattled Lalu, Paswan dismiss Rahul's praise for Nitish - May 05, 2009
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Nitish may back Ansari as vice president (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- BJP leader walks over to JD-U in Bihar - Jul 03, 2012
- Nitish likely to support Ansari for vice president - Jul 11, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- We will take special status for Bihar: Nitish Kumar - Aug 27, 2011
- Rahul praises Nitish Kumar, Naidu - May 05, 2009
- JD-U, Trinamool yet to reach accord in UP - Jan 27, 2012
- Nitish Kumar elected head of NDA legislature party (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- RJD hits out at Nitish for Modi handshake - May 05, 2012
- Campaign picks up for Bihar polls - Oct 16, 2010
Tags: chief minister, congress leader, general secretary, jd, national democratic alliance, nda, nitish kumar, opposition, overtures, polls, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, second time, sheila dikshit, truth, UPA, victory