Northeast parties back Telangana state demandOctober 5th, 2011 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Oct 5 (IANS) Several tribal political parties in northeast India have extended support for the carving out of a separate state of Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
In separate statements issued Wednesday, the All Bodo Students’ Union (ABSU) of Assam, the Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura (IPFT) and the Kuki Revolutionary Front (KRF) of Manipur have supported the demand for a separate state of Telangana.
Demanding the constitution of State Reorganisation Commission (SRC) to look into all the demands for separate states in different parts of the country, ABSU president Pramod Boro said: “In case of Telengana, Bodoland in Assam and other separate states’ demand, the centre has been playing step-motherly and irresponsible politics.”
The IPFT and the KRF, which have been demanding separate states for the tribals in Tripura and Manipur, respectively, also supported the movement for the creation of a separate Telangana state.
“We have been demanding upgradation of the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC) into a full fledged state for the all round development of the tribals, who constitute one-third of Tripura’s 3.7 million population,” said IPFT president Narendra Chandra Debbarma.
- Rallies planned in New Delhi demanding autonomous states - Oct 26, 2010
- Protests planned in Delhi to demand new states - Oct 05, 2010
- Bodos to march in Delhi -- for separate state - Oct 27, 2010
- Tripura provides more power to tribal council - Jul 28, 2010
- Bodoland gets more support, strike from May 7 - May 03, 2012
- Northeast parties press for repealing army's special powers - Apr 11, 2012
- CPI-M seeks more power for northeast autonomous councils - May 19, 2010
- Congress, alliance partner to contest Tripura council polls alone - Apr 03, 2010
- Central team touring northeast to push for grassroots governance - Feb 18, 2011
- Life in Assam hit by shutdowns, blockade - May 07, 2012
- Telengana storm hits Assam, separate statehood demands get strident - Dec 11, 2009
- Assam's Bodo tribals ramp demand for separate state - Nov 20, 2010
- Three northeastearn states soon to have high courts - May 12, 2012
- CPI-M fears terror spurt before Tripura local bodies polls - Feb 01, 2011
- Three northeastern states to get high courts by October - May 17, 2012
Tags: absu, assam, autonomous district, bodoland, boro, chandra, constitution, indigenous people, krf, manipur, northeast india, oct 5, political parties, population, pramod, reorganisation, students union, tribal areas, tribals, upgradation