North Korea to launch satellite (Lead)March 16th, 2012 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
Pyongyang, March 16 (IANS) North Korea will launch an earth observation satellite next month to mark the 100th birthday of its late founding leader Kim Il-sung, the state news agency KCNA reported Friday.
The Unha-3 rocket carrying the Kwangmyongsong-3 satellite will lift off from a launch pad in Cholsan, a coastal town in the country’s northwest, between April 12 and 16, a spokesperson for the Korean Committee for Space Technology said in a statement carried by KCNA, reports RIA Novosti.
“(We) will strictly abide by relevant international regulations and usage concerning the launch of scientific and technological satellites for peaceful purposes and ensure maximum transparency,” the spokesperson said.
Kim Il-sung, revered as the Eternal Sun of Mankind in North Korea, ruled the impoverished communist nation for nearly 50 years before dying in 1994. His birthday, April 15, is commemorated as the Day of the Sun. Massive celebrations are planned for the centenary of his birth.
The announcement came just two weeks after Pyongyang agreed to suspend uranium enrichment, as well as nuclear and long-range missile tests in return for 240,000 tonnes of US food aid.
Next month’s launch is an opportunity for “putting the country’s technology of space use for peaceful purposes on a higher stage”, the spokesperson said.
A similar launch in 2009 drew international criticism and led to UN Security Council sanctions. The North claimed the satellite reached orbit but the US and South Korea said the rocket fell into the Pacific and that the launch was a cover for ballistic missile tests.
- Reporters in Pyongyang for satellite launch - Apr 08, 2012
- Foreign observers for North Korean satellite launch - Mar 18, 2012
- 'Japan can crash North Korea satellite if needed' - Mar 18, 2012
- Japan warns of crashing down North Korean satellite - Mar 18, 2012
- North Korea's satellite plan provocative: US - Mar 16, 2012
- North Korea slams South Korean president - Apr 22, 2012
- North Korea vows to continue satellite launches - Apr 21, 2012
- North Korea to invite foreign experts for satellite launch - Mar 18, 2012
- North Korea puts rocket on pad for satellite launch - Apr 09, 2012
- North Korea to launch satellite - Mar 16, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- North Korea threatens to 'blow up' Seoul - Apr 20, 2012
- North Korea threatens to bury enemies at sea - Apr 05, 2012
- US welcomes North Korean invitation to n-experts - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: 100th birthday, ballistic missile, coastal town, communist nation, earth observation satellite, eternal sun, food aid, international criticism, kcna, kim il sung, launch pad, maximum transparency, missile tests, north korea, peaceful purposes, pyongyang, range missile, relevant international regulations, space technology, un security council