‘North Indians’ exodus from Mumbai affecting industry’February 21st, 2008 - 10:56 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, Feb 21 (IANS) The “exodus” of north Indians from Mumbai and other parts of Maharashtra after Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray’s tirade against them has affected industry operations, a business lobby said Thursday. It was the first time since Thackeray launched his campaign against migrants earlier this month, leading to violence clashes, that the corporate world has openly expressed its view.
“The exodus of migrants has affected industry operations, leading to serious consequences in terms of economic losses,” the Indian Merchants Chambers (IMC) said in a statement.
IMC president Niraj Bajaj said every Indian citizen has the fundamental right to earn his livelihood in any part of the country. “This right must be protected by the state government unconditionally,” he said.
The IMC said the attacks on innocent people from northern states are a serious issue of human rights violation and a matter of grave concern.
Bajaj added that Maharashtra’s economic development today is because of the contribution by both locals and migrants.
According to him, such incidents tarnish the unique image of Mumbai as a cosmopolitan city and a melting pot that welcomes and accommodates all those who seek opportunities for work and contribute to the growth process of the state.
- Mayawati flays Raj Thackeray for remarks on migrants - Jul 15, 2011
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- MNS shows fake PAN card of Maharashtra minister - Jul 26, 2011
- Raj Thackeray again attacks north Indian migrants - Jul 18, 2011
- Raj Thackeray 'permits' airing of show featuring Pakistani artists - Sep 06, 2012
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray publicity-hungry: Nitish Kumar - Sep 02, 2012
- Mumbai Congress MP Nirupam stirs hornet's nest - Oct 24, 2011
- Munde failed to clinch good offer from Congress: Raj Thackeray - Jun 23, 2011
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Thakerays are 'infiltrators' in Maharashtra from Bihar: Lalu Prasad - Sep 09, 2012
- Will attend Bihar Day in Mumbai, stresses Nitish - Apr 13, 2012
- Mumbai youth enjoy Valentine's Day as MNS, Sena lie low - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: bajaj, business lobby, clashes, cosmopolitan city, economic losses, exodus, fundamental right, grave concern, human rights violation, imc, indian citizen, indian merchants, industry operations, livelihood, maharashtra, melting pot, migrants, niraj, northern states, thackeray