Non-tribal group calls shutdown in JharkhandOctober 21st, 2010 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 21 (IANS) Over 200 people trying to enforce shutdown were arrested in Jharkhand Thursday, after a non-tribal backward community group called a strike to protest the Nov 17 panchayat polls being held under a legislation that reserves posts for tribals.
“The polls will take away rights of the non-tribals, who constitute 74 percent of the total population of the state. We will continue our protests till amendments are not made to the PESA (Panchayat Extension to Scheduled Areas) Act,” said Lalchand Mahto of the Sanyukt Sadan Morcha that called for the shutdown.
Buses were not plying on the roads while shops and schools remained closed here.
The Morcha is demanding de-reservation of panchayat head posts in areas where tribals make for less than 50 percent of the population.
The five-phase polls will take place Nov 27, Dec 6, Dec 13, Dec 20 and Dec 24. This is the first time that panchayat polls will take place in the state, after it was carved out from Bihar in 2000.
The Supreme Court January directed the state Election Commission to hold the polls under the provisions of the PESA Act.
The Jharkhand government is determined to hold the elections on scheduled dates and it has sought 250 companies of the central forces for peaceful conduct of the polls.
- Non-tribal group calls for shutdown in Jharkhand - Oct 21, 2010
- Panchayat polls: Jharkhand seeks additional forces - Oct 20, 2010
- Nominations for Jharkhand panchayat polls begin - Oct 28, 2010
- Non-tribals' strike hits life in parts of Jharkhand - Apr 13, 2010
- Jharkhand to hold first panchayat polls - Jan 13, 2010
- Over 56,000 aspirants in second phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls - Nov 09, 2010
- Munda urges Maoists to cooperate in panchayat polls - Nov 26, 2010
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: 3,000 backed by Maoists win unopposed - Dec 04, 2010
- Jharkhand panchayat polls begin Saturday - Nov 26, 2010
- Parliament approves bill on Jharkhand panchayat polls - Aug 25, 2010
- Second phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls begins - Dec 06, 2010
- Maoists disrupt panchayat polls in Jharkhand - Dec 24, 2010
- Maoist held while campaigning for wife in Jharkhand - Dec 08, 2010
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: 59,585 file papers for first phase - Nov 04, 2010
- Third phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls Monday - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: amendments, bihar, buses, community group, dec 24, jharkhand government, legislation, panchayat, peaceful conduct, pesa, polls, protests, provisions, ranchi, sadan, state election commission, supreme court, total population, tribal group, tribals