Nod for Vijayan’s prosecution politically motivated: Brinda KaratJune 8th, 2009 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Brinda Karat Monday said the Kerala governor’s nod to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to prosecute party leader Pinarayi Vijayan in the Rs.300 crore (Rs.3 billion) SNC Lavalin scam was “politically motivated”.
“Our party has already taken a stand on this issue - it is a politically motivated case. The party politburo has issued a statement earlier and the state secretariat of our party in Kerala has also clarified the position on this matter,” Brinda Karat told IANS.
Asked how the party would face the tag of a senior leader being involved in a multi-million scam, Karat reiterated that they would fight the case “politically and legally”.
Karat added that “available members of the party’s politburo” would be meeting in the national capital later Monday to discuss the issue.
Kerala Governor R.S. Gavai called the head of the CBI office here to his residence Sunday afternoon and handed over a 148-page report, giving his sanction to prosecute Vijayan.
Vijayan is accused of wrongfully awarding a contract to Canadian company SNC Lavalin for renovation of two power plants when he was the state power minister in 1997.
This is the first time a CPI-M politburo member has been accused in a multi-million rupee scam and will face prosecution. The Kerala secretariat of the CPI-M, which leads the state’s ruling coalition, had Sunday termed the decision “most unfortunate”.
The CPI-M politburo meeting is scheduled for June 18.
- CPI-M criticises governor's nod for Vijayan's prosecution (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- CPM says Kerala Governor's sanction to prosecute Vijyan "unfortunate" - Jun 08, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- CBI gets nod to prosecute Vijayan, CPI-M to fight case (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- Governor's decision on Vijayan arbitrary: Kerala home minister - Jun 09, 2009
- Governor's decision on Vijayan not surprising: Achuthanandan - Jun 10, 2009
- Governor allows prosecution of CPI-M leader Pinarayi Vijayan (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Governor to take decision on SNC Lavalin graft case - May 12, 2009
- Kerala governor's decision not surprising: Achuthanandan - Jun 10, 2009
- Apex court admits Vijayan's case - Aug 31, 2009
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- CBI asks Pinarayi Vijayan to appear in court Sept 24 - Aug 21, 2009
- CPI-M to fight Lavalin case in court - Jun 12, 2009
Tags: brinda karat, cbi, central bureau of investigation, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, crore, kerala, New Delhi, nod, party leader, politburo member, power minister, power plants, prosecution, rupee, sanction, secretariat, state secretariat, sunday afternoon