No-trust motion defeated in Andhra assemblyDecember 6th, 2011 - 5:03 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 6 (IANS) The opposition sponsored no-confidence motion against the Congress government in Andhra Pradesh was defeated by a huge margin in the state assembly late Monday night.
After over a 16-hour-long debate on the motion moved by Telugu Desam Party (TDP), the house voted on the motion after 1 a.m. While 122 members supported the motion, 160 opposed it and there was one neutral. Five members were absent during the voting.
Though 16 Congress legislators loyal to YSR Congress party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy violated the whip to vote in favour of the motion, it was not enough to defeat the government.
The ruling party has 153 members in 295-member house. The magic figure required to defeat the motion was 143 as there are seven vacancies in the house.
In addition to ruling party’s 136 members, 17 out of 18 legislators of Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) and all seven members of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) opposed the motion.
All 85 members of TDP, 12 of Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), four of CPI, two of BJP, one each of CPI-M, YSR Congress party and independent voted for the motion.
Though YSR Congress party’s honorary president Vijayamma had reached the assembly in the morning with 18 Congress rebels, the number dwindled to 16 by the time of the voting. Suspense over the actual strength of Jagan group continued till the last minute as Congress leaders made all out efforts to win back rebels.
Announcing the defeat of the motion, Speaker N. Manohar adjourned the house sine die.
On the last day of the five-day winter session, the house debated the motion for over 16 hours. The debate was marred by not just heated exchanges between treasury and opposition benches but also by the allegations and counter allegations among the parties supporting the motion.
- Congress, TDP, TRS issue whips to legislators - Dec 04, 2011
- 21 Jagan loyalists to vote against Congress government - Dec 03, 2011
- Manohar elected new speaker of Andhra assembly - Jun 04, 2011
- Congress to seek disqualification of 17 Andhra rebels - Dec 10, 2011
- Andhra assembly takes up debate on no-confidence motion - Dec 05, 2011
- Andhra governor prorogues legislature - Jun 07, 2011
- Congress, allies sweep Andhra council polls (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourned for second day without business - Dec 02, 2011
- PRP rebel legislator appears before Andhra speaker - Dec 19, 2011
- Suspense about Jagan group even as council polls begin - Mar 17, 2011
- TRS to move no-confidence motion in Andhra assembly - Feb 11, 2011
- Jagan challenges Congress to go for bypolls to 17 seats - Dec 06, 2011
- Jagan asks party to be ready for snap polls - Jun 01, 2011
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- Andhra speaker first to vote presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: bjp, confidence motion, congress government, congress leaders, congress party, congress rebels, CPI, honorary president, jagan, legislators, magic figure, manohar, opposition benches, party leader, prp, ruling party, state assembly, trs, trust motion, winter session