No-trust motion against Dhumal defeated in Himachal (Lead)August 29th, 2012 - 12:25 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 28 (IANS) The Congress sponsored no-confidence motion against the 56-month-old Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Himachal Pradesh was defeated in the state assembly Tuesday night.
After over a nine-hour-long debate on the motion, the BJP-dominated house defeated the motion by a voice vote in the absence of Congress legislators, who staged a walkout before Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal could complete his reply.
The motion was moved by Leader of Opposition Vidya Stokes and backed by 22 Congress members.
When Dhumal blamed the previous Congress government for extending favours to a private company Jaiprakash Associates Ltd (JAL) to set up a cement plant by violating land and environment rules, leading to heated arguments between the treasury and the opposition benches.
With each side trying to shout down the other, the Congress members rushed towards the chair.
The Congress members did not heed to the requests of Speaker Tulsi Ram to take their seats and the disruption continued for 40 minutes.
On the government not agreeing to register a case against the cement company, a demand put up by Stokes, all Congress members staged a walked out.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court in May imposed a penalty of Rs.100 crore on the JAL besides ordering dismantling of a captive thermal power plant constructed in the cement plant in violation of the environmental norms.
Earlier initiating the debate, Stokes said both the BJP and its government “are institutions that breed endless scandals and corruption”.
“The state government is the mother of all scandals,” she said.
Soon after the question hour, the speaker informed the house that he had received a notice about a motion expressing no confidence against the government.
It was immediately taken up after suspending all the business listed for the day. Even Dhumal wanted the motion taken up immediately.
- Himachal assembly takes up no-confidence motion - Aug 28, 2012
- Congress walkout from Himachal assembly over graft - Aug 27, 2012
- 21 Jagan loyalists to vote against Congress government - Dec 03, 2011
- Andhra governor prorogues legislature - Jun 07, 2011
- Chhattisgarh government defeats censure motion - Dec 20, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourned for second day without business - Dec 02, 2011
- Congress legislators gag up with black bands - Mar 15, 2012
- Blame game over Himachal power plant ordered to be razed - May 20, 2012
- Ruckus in Himachal assembly over corruption - Mar 13, 2012
- Chhattisgarh assembly to take up no-trust motion Friday - Dec 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh government defeats no-confidence motion (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- No-trust motion defeated in Andhra assembly - Dec 06, 2011
- Fierce debate as Chhattisgarh assembly discusses no-trust motion - Dec 16, 2011
- Himachal assembly adjourned sin die - Aug 30, 2012
- Congress extended favours to Jaiprakash Associates: Dhumal - May 07, 2012
Tags: cement company, cement plant, chief minister, confidence motion, congress government, congress members, crore, disruption, favours, jal, leader of opposition, legislators, norms, opposition benches, scandals, state assembly, thermal power plant, trust motion, voice vote, walkout