‘No starvation deaths in arson-hit villages’April 4th, 2011 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 4 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government Monday denied reports that six villagers have died of starvation in the Tarmetla area of insurgency-hit Dantewada district where the security forces allegedly went on a rampage last month.
“Chief Minister Raman Singh reached Tarmetla on Saturday to make an on the spot assessment. The villagers told him that no one in the area died of starvation after the arson incident,” an official statement said.
The statement comes in the backdrop of reports that around six villagers had died of starvation in Tarmetla area, days after the security forces allegedly went on a rampage in Tarmetla and two nearby tribal villages.
The report of alleged police brutalities made headlines in newspapers here for several days and the state government March 31 announced a judicial probe into the incident.
Though the state government maintains that the brutalities against civilians were an act of the Maoists, it also says the government will not let any policemen to go scot free if the probe report indicts them.
The tribal villagers had alleged that policemen not only burnt down over 200 huts, but killed a few people and raped women.
- Dantewada area not fully in our control: Raman Singh (Interview) - Mar 31, 2011
- Salwa Judum has gone out of control: Agnivesh - Mar 27, 2011
- No starvation death confirmed in Dantewada: Official - Apr 07, 2011
- Panel to probe alleged excesses in Chhattisgarh village - Mar 24, 2011
- Dantewada still burns, year after India's worst Maoist strike - Apr 05, 2011
- Agnivesh attacked by protesters, two officials transferred - Mar 27, 2011
- Chhattisgarh house paralysed over Dantewada rampage, minister blames Maoists - Mar 29, 2011
- Chhattisgarh announces judicial probe into Dantewada arson - Apr 01, 2011
- Help for police rampage victims in Chhattisgarh - Mar 25, 2011
- Chhattisgarh lawmakers arrested on way to Dantewada village - Mar 30, 2011
- Swami Agnivesh's assailant shot at by Maoists - Apr 28, 2011
- Ire over village head's slaying in Chhattisgarh mounts - Aug 13, 2011
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- Congress team to probe civilians' torture in Chhattisgarh - Aug 04, 2012
- Court slams Chhattisgarh on issue of burning tribal houses (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: april 4, arson, backdrop, chhattisgarh government, chief minister, civilians, headlines, huts, judicial probe, maoists, newspapers, police brutalities, policemen, raman singh, rampage, security forces, starvation deaths, state government, tribal villages