No Russian asylum for Syrian president: MinisterMarch 21st, 2012 - 8:37 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Moscow has not told Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to leave Syria and take refuge in Russia, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
“Nobody invited him to Moscow,” Lavrov said, answering a question on whether it would be better for al-Assad to resign and flee to Moscow to avoid the fate of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, who was killed by a triumphant mob in October last year.
“It’s up to Assad to decide. He won’t make the decision because someone from Russia asked him to,” the foreign minister said in an interview with Kommersant FM radio.
He said Western and Arab politicians who press for al-Assad’s resignation should first “answer the question of how it all would look and who would streamline the (power transition) process”.
“Taking into account the great discord among the Syrian opposition forces, there is no clear answer to that question yet,” Lavrov said.
Russia did not use its veto in the UN Security Council to block intervention in Libya, which was started under the pretext of protecting civilians from the crackdown by Gaddafi’s forces.
However, in February Russia and China vetoed a US-backed resolution calling on al-Assad to step down.
A year-long uprising against al-Assad has claimed over 8,000 lives.
- Russian troops won't be sent to Syria: Lavrov - Mar 15, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Russia sets conditions on peacekeeping mission to Syria - Feb 14, 2012
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Russia denies plans to grant asylum to Assad - Jul 29, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: asylum, bashar al assad, crackdown, discord, fm radio, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, march 21, muammar gaddafi, opposition forces, power transition, president bashar, pretext, ria novosti, russia foreign minister, sergei lavrov, syrian opposition, syrian president bashar al, un security council, veto