No rift with Anna’s team, will attend Lokpal meeting: Hegde (Lead)June 19th, 2011 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mangalore/New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) Karnataka Lok Ayukta (ombudsman) and a civil society member on the Lokpal bill drafting committee N. Santosh Hegde Sunday denied any rift with the Anna Hazare team and said he would attend the panel’s meetings.
Hegde said he will not be able to attend the Monday meeting due to his prior commitments, but would attend the one on Tuesday.
“I’m not able to attend the meetings of the joint drafting panel Monday due to prior commitments. But there is no rift among the civil society members of the Lokpal drafting committee, and that is exactly the reason why I will go to Delhi to attend the meeting. I want to show it to the media with the Anna team,” Hegde told CNN-IBN news channel over the phone from Mangalore.
Hegde also clarified that his comment on Anna Hazare’s hunger strike was just a suggestion that he made, which was being mistaken as a rift. On Saturday, he had urged Hazare not to fast again if the Lokpal bill is not passed by Aug 15, and instead tour the country and meet people over the issue.
“I personally felt that it will be better if Anna Hazare goes around India and mobilises people’s support against corruption. If Anna goes on a strike, I will fully support him,” Hegde added.
Hegde, a retired judge of the Supreme Court, is one of the five civil society members on the 10-member panel that includes five central cabinet ministers.
The other civil society members are Hazare, social activist Arvind Kejriwal and lawyers Shanti Bhushan and his son Prashant. The government side is represented by Pranab Mukherjee, P. Chidambaram, Kapil Sibal, M.Veerappa Moily and Salman Khursheed.
Meanwhile, Prashant Bhushan stressed that the country needs an independent body like the proposed Lokpal.
“We need an independent body to go into corruption as well as misconduct and misbehaviour by the judiciary. But that body must be a credible body and should be independent of the government as well as independent of the judiciary. The Lokpal is precisely such a body,” said Bhushan in New Delhi.
- Sonia writes to Hazare, Lokpal panel to meet Monday (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2011
- No rift with Anna's team, will attend Lokpal meeting: Hegde - Jun 19, 2011
- Team Hazare set for crucial Lokpal meet - Jun 20, 2011
- Will not attend further meetings of Lokpal panel: Hegde - Jun 18, 2011
- Differences persist, but meet cordial: Team Anna - Jun 20, 2011
- Lokpal panel meets amid differences (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Hegde mulls quitting Lokpal Bill drafting panel - Apr 21, 2011
- Lokpal bill will fight corruption at centre, not states: Hegde (Interview) (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- Lokpal bill will fight graft at centre, not states: N. Santosh Hegde (Interview) - Apr 15, 2011
- 'Action against Ramdev reminder of emergency' - Jun 05, 2011
- No differences over names of committee members: Hazare - Apr 10, 2011
- Differences persist but meet cordial, say Team Anna, government (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Government offered to pay bills of civil society panellists - Jul 11, 2011
- Team Anna, government battle on new issues; differences widen (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2011
- Lokpal Bill drafting panel to meet Saturday - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, bhushan, cnn, cnn ibn, cnn ibn news, cnn ibn news channel, drafting committee, governmen, government side, hunger strike, independent body, kapil sibal, lok ayukta, misbehaviour, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, social activist, society members, veerappa