No problem in the state for northeast people, says Andhra CM (Lead)August 17th, 2012 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Polavaram (Andhra Pradesh), Aug 17 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy Friday downplayed the flight of northeast people from the state, saying they were leaving as they wanted to be with their families in their native states.
“There is no problem in the state and they (northeast people) are leaving because they want to be with their families back home,” Reddy told IANS.
Hundreds of people from northeast have begun fleeing Hyderabad fearing communal attack on them in the wake of violence between Bodo and Muslim communities in Assam.
“Police assured them yesterday that they would be safe here,” the chief minister said.
“The police commissioner will be meeting them today… They are citizens of India and we will do everything it takes to protect them,” Reddy added.
In the last two days, Karnataka has witnessed exodus of thousands of people from northeastern states following rumours doing rounds that they would be attacked.
- No problem in the state for NE people, says Andhra CM - Aug 17, 2012
- As exodus continues, bulk SMSes banned; parliament unites in support (Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- Andhra police chief appeals northeast community not to panic (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- No exodus of northeast people from Bihar: Modi - Aug 18, 2012
- Andhra police chief asks northeast community not to panic (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Assam asks railway to help people go back - Aug 22, 2012
- Congress MPs from northeast meet Sonia - Aug 16, 2012
- BJP slams government for intelligence failure - Aug 19, 2012
- Assam ministers satisfied with migrants' security in Hyderabad - Aug 18, 2012
- Thousands of fleeing northeastern people reach Guwahati - Aug 18, 2012
- Bulk SMS, MMS banned for 15 days - Aug 17, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to Bangalore, Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2012
- Panic subsides in Karnataka, people flee Maharashtra (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- Rehabilitate Bengali Muslims only after verification: Bodo groups - Aug 18, 2012
- Blame illegal immigrants for northeast tensions: Gadkari - Aug 24, 2012