No plot against Sikh woman MP: Canadian ministerMay 11th, 2009 - 9:20 am ICT by IANS
By Gurmukh Singh
Toronto, May 11 (IANS) Canadian Immigration Minister Jason Kenney denied Sunday any political plot against Sikh woman MP Ruby Dhalla who has been accused of mistreatment by her three former nannies.
Thirty-five-year-old former beauty queen, Dhalla has been the MP for the opposition Liberal Party from the Punjabi-dominated constituency of Brampton-Springdale on the outskirts of Toronto since 2004. The three Filipino nannies have created a big political crisis for Canada’s first Sikh woman MP by publicly alleging that they were mistreated, overworked and underpaid while they were worked at Dhalla’s home.
They have also alleged that their passports were taken away and they were forced to do non-nanny jobs like cleaning shoes and washing cars. The three women were also illegally employed by Dhalla.
Without naming the ruling Conservative Party, Dhalla’s lawyer said Friday that there was a political conspiracy to destroy her career. However, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney scoffed at the conspiracy theory Sunday.
Kenney told a Canadian TV network: “I don’t know what conspiracy this would be. Between the Conservative party (his party), the NDP (the second opposition party), three Filipino nannies and the Toronto Star (which broke the story)?”
He said: “I think it undermines credibility when people start talking about conspiracies.” Denying that the government was trying to put the Sikh woman MP in the dock, Kenney said: “One never likes to see a colleague from any party facing a difficult personal situation.
“Frankly, I like Ms Dhalla and have gotten along quite well with her. And I think she does deserve the benefit of the doubt.” Dhalla is likely to appear before a parliamentary panel for allegedly hiring the nannies illegally.
(Gurmukh Singh can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sikh woman MP accuses Canadian immigration minister of lying - Apr 29, 2011
- Canadian parliament may see more Indian-origin MPs - Apr 26, 2011
- More trouble for Canada's Sikh woman MP - May 15, 2009
- Top Indo-Canadian MPs lost in Canadian elections - May 04, 2011
- Canadian Sikh woman MP in more trouble - May 08, 2009
- Dosanjh, Dhalla lose as Canada's ruling party gets majority - May 03, 2011
- It's Punjabi versus Punjabi in Canadian polls - Apr 28, 2011
- Canadian politicians use India-Pakistan cricket clash to woo voters - Mar 31, 2011
- Embattled Sikh woman defends herself in Canada's nannygate - May 09, 2009
- Ruling party set for comfortable majority in Canadian polls - May 03, 2011
- Nannygate: Indian Canadian MP wants to appear before House panel - May 12, 2009
- Ruby Dhalla now faces multiple probes over nannies - Jun 06, 2009
- Canadian parliamentary body clears Indian-Canadian MP Dhalla of maid exploitation charges - Jun 17, 2009
- Indian Canadian MP 'cleared' of nanny abuse charges (Lead) (With Image) - Jun 17, 2009
- After steamy scenes, world's 'third hottest' MP now in nanny row - May 05, 2009
Tags: beauty queen, benefit of the doubt, canadian immigration, canadian minister, canadian tv, conspiracy theory, filipino nannies, gurmukh, immigration minister, jason kenney, nanny jobs, opposition party, parliamentary panel, personal situation, political conspiracy, political crisis, political plot, ruby dhalla, toronto star, woman mp