No new cabinet induction from UPA alliesJanuary 19th, 2011 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) The cabinet shuffle Wednesday saw the elevation of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Praful Patel as a cabinet minister with change in his portfolio from civil aviation to heavy industries and public enterprises but there were no new induction from other parties in the United Progressive Alliance. The only other party supporting the ruling coalition which figured in the shuffle was Muslim League Kerala State Committee whose leader E. Ahamed was made the minister of state for external affairs. He was the junior railway minister till now.
The cabinet shuffle also saw a change in the portfolio of NCP chief Sharad Pawar. While Pawar retained agriculture, he was given additional charge of food processing and relieved of the responsibility of consumer affairs, food and public distribution.
The NCP said it was happy with the reshuffle.
“The changes are PM’s (prime minister’s) prerogative. We are happy that Mr. Praful Patel has been elevated to cabinet rank,” said party spokesman D.P. Tripathi.
A senior DMK leader said that though the party was “entitled” for a place in the cabinet in place of former communications minister A. Raja, who quit in November last year over the 2008 2G spectrum allocation scandal, he was not sure of the reasons for the induction having been deferred.
The leader, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the induction was a matter between party chief M. Karunanidhi and the Congress leadership.
There was speculation that the Trinamool Congress would get an additional berth. Both Tamil Nadu and West Bengal will go to polls later this year.
- Manmohan shuffles ministers but pack of cards is old - Jan 19, 2011
- Pawar, Patel skip cabinet meeting - Jul 19, 2012
- NCP skips cabinet meeting over 'problems' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Intro-Roundup) - Jul 26, 2012
- Congress tries hard to mollify NCP, Pawar unswayed (Intro Roundup) - Jul 21, 2012
- Cabinet reshuffle Wednesday, new faces likely (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Congress disapproves Kamat's resignation (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Why is Sharad Pawar angry? - Jul 20, 2012
- PM makes significant changes in key economic portfolios - Jan 19, 2011
- Praful denies resignation, NCP stays with UPA (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Ajit Pawar is Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Manmohan shuffles ministry, focus on economy, governance (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,