No national anthem in West Bengal assembly, governor plays choir leaderMarch 9th, 2009 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 9 (IANS) Causing immense embarrassment to the West Bengal government, the national anthem did not play before the start of Governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi’s customary annual address in the state assembly Monday.
The governor, however, showed fast reflexes as he began singing aloud “Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka Jaya He” and goaded the ministers and other legislators to join in.
Soon, the entire House obliged.
The faux pas recurred after the governor had finished his speech, and again Gandhi saved the government the blushes by taking the lead in singing the Rabindranath Tagore composition.
The speaker later said that a technical snag led to the unprecedented occurrence in the history of the House.
Following strong criticism from opposition legislators, the speaker has ordered a probe.
- India's national anthem completes a century (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- India was undecided about national anthem at Independence - Sep 01, 2012
- Indian national anthem completes 100 years - Dec 27, 2011
- Pranab releases new renditions of national anthem - Aug 12, 2011
- National anthem becomes disabled-friendly - Dec 27, 2011
- Documentary explores 'Jana Gana Mana' spirit - Aug 14, 2012
- Life of Rabindranath Tagore at a glance - May 08, 2011
- VHP demonstration against dictum of Muslim clerics on Vande Mataram - Nov 06, 2009
- (VM) Electrifying atmosphere at Wankehde - Apr 02, 2011
- Parliament remembers Tagore - May 08, 2012
- 'Sanskriti' Express to mark 150th birth Anniversary of Tagore - Feb 24, 2010
- Gilani, Manmohan meet teams before match begins - Mar 30, 2011
- Lokmat's record news spread of a world record (With Image) - Feb 10, 2012
- Chitravali: Compiling Tagore's art on 150th birth anniversary - Feb 06, 2011
- Tagore culture carnival keeps capital busy - May 07, 2011
Tags: blushes, choir leader, composition, embarrassment, gandhi, gopal krishna, jana gana mana, kolkata, legislators, national anthem, occurrence, opposition, rabindranath tagore, reflexes, state assembly, taking the lead, technical snag, west bengal government