No more delay in Lokapl acceptable, says AnnaDecember 18th, 2011 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 18 (IANS) Continuing to pressurize the government on the Lokpal bill, activist Anna Hazare Sunday said there should not be any more delay in passing the anti-corruption legislation.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of a public meeting here, he said that a year had passed since they started their campaign for an effective ombudsman. There should be no further delay.
“It is one year since we started our agitation, for three months they held meetings with five of our (Team Anna) members, but there has been no result,” Hazare said.
“This is an insult to our country where Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev laid down their lives. … this (passing Lokpal bill) is taking more time, and it is not good,” he said.
Hazare also blamed the Parliamentary Standing Committee that studied the anti-graft legislation for ruining it despite the “sense of the house” (parliament) on three of his key demands.
“When I fasted in Ramlila ground, the prime minister gave it in writing that Lokayukta, Citizen’s Charter and all officers from top to bottom will be brought under Lokpal, that it it will be presented in parliament, and parliament will pass it unanimously.
“But when it went to the Standing Committee, the committee ruined it,” he said.
- PM is honest but remote controlled, moans Anna (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Lokpal panel still divided on inclusion of PM (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2011
- Anna gets MCD nod for another hunger strike - Nov 27, 2011
- Lokpal bill may come up in parliament in November - Aug 28, 2011
- No permission yet to Team Anna : MCD - Nov 29, 2011
- Lokpal panel still divided on inclusion of PM (Lead) - Nov 30, 2011
- Lalu, Sharad Yadav, Paswan slam Anna aides - Aug 27, 2011
- Wrong to hijack democratic institutions: Aruna Roy - Aug 20, 2011
- Citizen's charter should be under Lokpal: Anna Hazare - Dec 14, 2011
- Team Anna reject Lokpal panel's recommendations - Dec 07, 2011
- Government plans Lokpal bill in winter session; Anna threatens agitation - Dec 15, 2011
- No way other than fasting: Anna Hazare - Jun 21, 2011
- Lokpal panel likely to finalise report Nov 30 - Nov 28, 2011
- Anna should not dictate terms to parliament: Hegde - Aug 26, 2011
- Parliament to decide Lokpal bill's final shape: Pranab - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: activist, agitation, anna hazare, bhagat singh, charter, chennai, citizen, corruption, insult, legislation, ombudsman, parliament, parliamentary standing committee, prime minister, rajguru, sidelines, sukhdev, three months, top to bottom