No flowers, donate cash to party, Raj Thackeray tells supporters on birthdayJune 14th, 2009 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 14 (IANS) Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray Sunday refused to accept gifts or flowers from the thousands of his partymen who turned up to greet him on his 41st birthday Sunday. Instead, he appealed for cash to be donated to the party coffers.
The appeal was “official” and the monies collected would be “fully accounted” for, according to MNS vice-president Vageesh Saraswat.
“The party has issued a written appeal to his followers to refrain from buying expensive gifts and flowers, garlands or bouquets. That money could be donated in cash to the party and it would be utilized for fighting the forthcoming Maharashtra assembly elections,” Saraswat told IANS.
Accordingly, Raj greeted his followers with a smile and folded hands, accepted their greetings and blessings outside his Dadar residence Sunday morning.
The supporters then took out small or large envelopes filled with cash and deposited them in a huge locked box kept nearby.
Asked if the party had set a certain minimum collection, Saraswat replied in the negative. “This is purely voluntary. We need money for the next elections. So instead of spending money on gifts or flowers, it could be better utilized in the elections,” he said.
However, flowers and sweets were not lacking at the venue. Raj’s residence was decorated with flowers, both inside and outside, and Raj cut a huge rectangular cake. All those who turned up to greet him were offered sweets and cake with a warm smile from their youthful leader.
The MNS made its presence felt in the May 2009 Lok Sabha elections when it contested 12 Lok Sabha seats. Although it did not win a single seat, its presence damaged the prospects of its arch rival, Shiv Sena and Bharatiya Janata Party on several seats.
Now, MNS plans to contest all the 288 assembly seats in the state elections due by October.
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Sena-BJP combine triumph in Mumbai, Thane civic polls, MNS gains (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Widow of MNS legislator joins NCP - Sep 22, 2011
- MNS bags Nashik mayor's post - with BJP support - Mar 15, 2012
- Vilasrao should resign: Maharashtra opposition - Apr 05, 2012
- Mumbai youth enjoy Valentine's Day as MNS, Sena lie low - Feb 14, 2011
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- MNS offers unconditional support to Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI in Thane - Mar 06, 2012
- MNS names candidates - with marks! - Jan 29, 2012
- Raj Thackeray admits dilemma over picking candidates - Jan 27, 2012
- BJP keen on MNS as part of alliance in Maharashtra - Mar 01, 2011
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Nashik will have MNS mayor: Raj Thackeray - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: arch rival, assembly seats, blessings, bouquets, expensive gifts, folded hands, followers, garlands, janata party, june 14, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, maharashtra assembly elections, mns, monies, party coffers, raj thackeray, spending money, state elections, warm smile