No evidence North Korean leader dead: US officialFebruary 11th, 2012 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 11 (IANS) The US intelligence has found no evidence to suggest that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was dead, an official said following web posts in China that claimed Kim was assassinated in Beijing.
US intelligence officials have been looking into such rumours for more than a week, the official told CNN.
“With that society, you can never be 100 percent sure, but we just don’t see any evidence of it. It’s a closed society, but at this point we do not believe it’s true,” he said.
The official said preliminary analysis of the rumour suggested it was part of a “calculated effort to disrupt the economy of South Korea at a fragile time by suggesting things are going haywire up north”.
Further, there was no evidence of movement of North Korean forces “that you would associate with the turmoil of a calculated assassination”, he said.
Kim, believed to be in his late 20s, assumed the title of “supreme leader” after his father Kim Jong Il’s death in December at the age of 69. Kim Jong Il ruled the country since 1994.
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim's death: US in touch with South Korea - Dec 19, 2011
- South Koreans send anti-regime leaflets to North in balloons - Dec 22, 2011
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- 'Kim Jong-il's death was extensive intelligence failure' - Dec 20, 2011
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korean leader 'having affair with married singer' - Jul 11, 2012
- North Korea holds military parade - Apr 15, 2012
- China denies sending troops to North Korea - Dec 28, 2011
- Kim Jong-il to be embalmed - Jan 12, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dead, youngest son takes over (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- Kim Jong-un's mystery woman revealed: Hyon Song-wol - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: beijing, china, cnn, death in december, economy of south korea, fragile time, kim jong il, korean forces, korean leader, north korean, rumour, rumours, south korea, supreme leader, turmoil, us intelligence officials, web posts