No demolition at jail site, court tells Mayawati governmentMay 14th, 2009 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 14 (IANS) The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court Thursday passed an interim order directing the Uttar Pradesh government not to carry out any demolition at the site of a jail or cut any trees on its premises, on a public suit fearing that Chief Minister Mayawati’s government planned to demolish the building to expand a memorial coming up next door.
While hearing a PIL filed by a local lawyer, the order was passed by the two-judge Bench of Justice Pradeep Kant and Justice S.N. Zaidi.
The PIL stated that government had planned to demolish the Model Jail and Women’s Jail so that the area can be used to expand Chief Minister Mayawati’s multi-crore project-Kanshiram Smarak Sthal.
It was also stated in the PIL that the government was cutting trees at the site of the Model Jail and Women’s Jail.
In its order, the high court directed the state government to maintain status-quo till the case comes up for next hearing May 18.
According to officials, the Kanshiram Smarak Sthal is coming up in about 60 acres of the area, near the Model and Women’s Jail, along the Kanpur road.
The Kanshiram Smarak Sthal is being developed at an estimated cost of about Rs.253 crore. It has Mayawati’s 18-feet-high bronze statue along with that of Dalit icon Kanshiram.
- Apex court seeks details on construction in Lucknow park (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- High Court too orders CBI probe into doctor's murder - Jul 14, 2011
- CBI to probe Uttar Pradesh medical officers' killings - Jul 27, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Mayawati allocates Rs.500 crore more for parks, memorials - Aug 10, 2010
- New twist in demand for probe into health mission funds - Jul 25, 2011
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into doctors' killing, medical graft - Jul 20, 2011
- Court asks Uttar Pradesh to clear rail blockade by Jats - Mar 18, 2011
- Anticipatory bail in UP: Court wants early decision - Feb 29, 2012
- Finally, veils to go off Mayawati statues - Mar 04, 2012
- Court rejects CBI probe plea in medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- Mulayam slams Mayawati Govt. over UP food scam - Dec 07, 2010
- UP government races to restore Mayawati statue - Jul 27, 2012
- Court reserves judgment on Uttar Pradesh rural health scam - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, bench, bronze statue, chief minister, crore project, cutting trees, demolition, kanshiram, kant, lawyer, Mayawati, pil, pradeep, premises, state government, sthal, uttar pradesh government