No data on illegal migrants: ministerAugust 8th, 2012 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) Minister of State for Home M. Ramachandran said Wednesday it was not possible to maintain any data on illegal migrants as there was no record of their entry.
In a written reply in the Rajya Sabha, Ramachandran said: “As entry of illegal migrants into the country, without valid documents, is clandestine and surreptitious, it is not possible to have any data of such illegal migrants, including those from Afghanistan and Bangladesh.”
He, however, said that in 2011, a total of 21,274 Bangladeshis and 12,744 Afghans who entered India on valid documents were found to have overstayed in the country.
The minister said instances of violation of Indian law and involvement in illegal activities by foreign nationals have been reported.
He said cases of the illegal migrants obtaining ration cards, voter IDs and driving license through “fraudulent means” was known but no official data was maintained on this issue.
- Over 7,500 Pakistanis overstayed in India: RTI - Nov 14, 2011
- 65,000 foreigners found overstaying in India - Mar 16, 2010
- Manipur pushes back 60 suspected Bangladeshis - Sep 02, 2012
- '764 Pakistanis granted Indian citizenship during 2009-11' - Aug 22, 2012
- Europe can't handle migrants exodus: Marine Le Pen - Mar 15, 2011
- Nine illegal Bangladeshi migrants held in Assam - Mar 10, 2012
- Delhi Police detaining illegal Bangladeshi migrants ahead of I-Day - Aug 09, 2009
- Pakistani spy held in Delhi with secret defence papers (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- 33 Bangladeshi migrants held in Britain - Jul 05, 2012
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Three US citizens and three Cambodian men indicted for marriage and benefit fraud - May 14, 2010
- Indian, Bangladeshis held in Malaysia (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- UID can be security risk, warns BJP - Jan 21, 2012
- 181,000 migrants 'may have overstayed visas': UK Border Agency - Mar 15, 2011
- Blame illegal immigrants for northeast tensions: Gadkari - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, afghans, bangladesh, foreign nationals, illegal activities, illegal migrants, India, instances, minister of state, New Delhi, rajya sabha, ramachandran, ration cards, reply, valid documents