No candidate against Priya Dutt: Samajwadi PartyApril 3rd, 2009 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 3 (IANS) A day after naming Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt as a general secretary, the Samajwadi Party Friday stated that it would not field any candidate against Dutt’s sister Priya Dutt, a Congress MP from Mumbai.
Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh told reporters here: “We will not field any candidate against Priya Dutt. We have a lot of respect for Sunilji (Sanjay Dutt’s father, the late Sunil Dutt).”
Priya Dutt is an MP from Mumbai (North-West).
This was in reciprocation for the Congress having decided not to contest the Lucknow seat when Sanjay Dutt was named the Samajwadi Party candidate. He was barred from doing so by the Supreme Court earlier this week because of his conviction in a criminal case.
Amar Singh, however, said that the Samajwadi Party would field candidates against Congress MP Milind Deora (Mumbai-South) and the party’s candidate for Mumbai (North) Sanjay Nirupam.
Sanjay Dutt had stated that despite his father Sunil Dutt’s strong objection, the Congress had given a ticket to Sanjay Nirupam who had joined the Congress after quitting the Shiv Sena.
Amar Singh, who is also the party general secretary, was speaking at a joint press conference with the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) in Lucknow. The three parties have decided to contest the elections together.
Sanjay Dutt, who was present, reiterated that he would remain with the party irrespective of the fact that he would not be able to contest the elections.
The Samajwadi Party had announced last month that it would not field candidates against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul Gandhi even if the party has no seat sharing agreement with the Congress.
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- Congress likely to convene meeting of party MPs Thursday - Aug 23, 2011
- Congress MPs Priya Dutt, Nirupam meet Hazare supporters, vow support - Aug 22, 2011
- Priya, Sanjay Dutt support opposing parties in same constituency (Lead) - Sep 25, 2009
- I am Mulayam's Hanuman: Amar Singh - Nov 05, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt signs on new role - Samajwadi Party general secretary (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2009
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Sanjay Dutt says Congress minister threatened him (Lead) - Apr 01, 2009
- If Sanjay Dutt cannot contest, we will request Manyata: Amar Singh (Lead) - Jan 10, 2009
- I will contest as Samajwadi Party candidate, says defiant Sanjay (Lead) - Jan 17, 2009
- Samajwadi Party may field Abu Azmi against Priya Dutt - Jan 13, 2009
- Sanjay joining us shouldn't disappoint Priya: Amar Singh (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Fresh speculation on next Mumbai Congress chief - May 15, 2011
- Munnabhai says will not contest against Vajpayee - Jan 18, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt to be Samajwadi candidate from Lucknow (Lead) - Jan 08, 2009
Tags: amar singh, bollywood star, congress president sonia gandhi, conviction, criminal case, general secretary, lok, milind deora, mumbai, objection, party candidate, party leader, priya dutt, reciprocation, rjd, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt, sanjay nirupam, shiv sena, sunil dutt