No business, parliament adjourned for second dayNovember 23rd, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 23 (IANS) An aggressive and united opposition again forced both houses of parliament to adjourn without transacting any business for the second day of the winter session Wednesday.
MPs from opposition parties created ruckus in the two houses over various issues forcing the presiding officers to call it a day.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the house first till 12 noon after opposition MPs shouted slogans against price rise. Members from the Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh flashed placards demanding a separate state and Shiv Sena members sought a hike in cotton rates for farmers in Maharashtra.
The Left parties have been asking the speaker to consider their adjournment motion on price rise even as the government had agreed to have a discussion on inflation under rule 193 that doesn’t entail voting.
The discussion was listed in Wednesday’s business but the speaker has apparently decided against the adjournment motion.
When the house resumed at 12 noon, the bedlam returned throwing the Lok Sabha into chaos. Deputy Speaker Karia Munda adjourned the house till Thursday morning.
The Rajya Sabha was also adjourned for the day after the suspension of Question Hour in the morning due to noisy protests.
This is the second day of the winter session. The first day, too, was a washout with the Lok Sabha not able to transact any business.
- Both houses of parliament adjourned again - Nov 24, 2011
- Day 3 in Parliament: No work, logjam on over price rise, Telangana - Nov 24, 2011
- Parliament returns to disruptions over demands for Chidambaram's ouster (Roundup) - Dec 08, 2011
- Parliament's winter session: Protests wash out first week - Nov 25, 2011
- Back to square one: Anti-Chidambaram protests disrupt parliament - Dec 08, 2011
- Day 9 of parliament adjournment, JPC deadlock continues (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Chidambaram in eye of parliament storm, government faces winter heat (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2011
- Protests over graft, inflation stall parliament second day (Third Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Speaker accepts Left-backed adjournment motion - Nov 24, 2011
- Hazare protest stalls parliament, no business done (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- UPA-opposition wedge widens in parliament (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2011
- After Chidambaram, opposition now guns for Krishna - Dec 09, 2011
- Another parliament day, Rs.4 crore lost - Nov 23, 2011
- Parliament adjourned till Monday over anti-Chidambaram protests (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Parliament adjourned for day over Anna detention (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: adjournment motion, bedlam, deputy speaker, houses of parliament, karia, left parties, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, munda, noisy protests, opposition mps, opposition parties, rajya sabha, rise members, ruckus, shiv sena, thursday morning, united opposition, washout, winter session