Nitish very much in NDA: BJPMay 15th, 2009 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday said Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was very much part of their National Democratic Alliance (NDA) after the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader said he was willing to support any party that would grant his state a special status.
“Nitish Kumar hasn’t asked for anything unusual. He knows which alliance will give Bihar a special status. He is part of the NDA and has assured us support,” BJP president Rajnath Singh told reporters.
During a book release function in Patna earlier Friday, Nitish Kumar said: “We will support whichever party or alliance gives Bihar a special category status. That will be the basis of our support.”
Reacting to the remarks, the Congress, which was last week trying to get Nitish Kumar’s support, asked him to specify what he meant by ’special category status’.
“He (Nitish Kumar) needs to define and specify what he means by special status for Bihar. The UPA (the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance) has always taken into consideration demands when it has released funds for backward states,” said Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh.
Nitish Kumar’s remarks came a day before the vote count that is widely expected to deliver a fractured verdict and leading alliances are frentically working to shore up their numbers.
- We will take special status for Bihar: Nitish Kumar - Aug 27, 2011
- Much-in-demand Nitish wants special status for Bihar (Roundup) - May 15, 2009
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- Nitish to back any party over Bihar's special status (Lead) - May 15, 2009
- Nitish Kumar elected head of NDA legislature party (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- BJP leader walks over to JD-U in Bihar - Jul 03, 2012
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Nitish Kumar congratulates Pranab, invites him to Bihar - Jul 22, 2012
- Bihar seeks special category - with signatures - Jul 10, 2011
- Nitish Kumar invited to form government, swearing-in Friday (Second Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Special status must for Bihar's development: Nitish Kumar - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: alliances, bharatiya janata party, bjp, category status, chief minister, congress, digvijay singh, general secretary, hasn, jd, national democratic alliance, nda, New Delhi, nitish kumar, progressive alliance, UPA, vote count