Nitish urges Lalu to ensure action against ThackerayMay 5th, 2008 - 10:41 pm ICT by admin
Patna, May 5 (IANS) Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday threw a new challenge before his political rival and Railways Minister Lalu Prasad. He asked him to ensure stern action against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray for his remarks against north Indians. A day after Thackeray renewed his campaign against north Indian migrants, Nitish Kumar said Lalu Prasad as an influential minister in the United Progressive Alliance government should ensure stringent action against Thackeray. “Lalu Prasad should use his influence to initiate stern action against Thackeray,” Nitish Kumar said here.
Kumar said he had urged Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilas Rao Deshmukh nearly two months ago to ensure stringent action against Raj Thackeray when he issued remarks against north Indians. But it is unfortunate that no action was taken against Thackeray except a ritual arrest, he said.
Kumar said he had also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging the central government to intervene in saving the lives and property of north Indians in Maharashtra in the wake of violent attacks against them by vested elements at the instigation of Thackeray.
In January, the MNS chief had criticised north Indians, especially people from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar living in Mumbai and elsewhere in Maharashta, on various issues including performing the Chhat Puja festival.
His controversial remarks sparked off violence in different parts of Maharashtra between MNS activists and north Indians.
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Will attend Bihar Day in Mumbai, stresses Nitish - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Attack on Azmi condemned by Bihar politicians - Nov 09, 2009
- Nitish proposes Maharashtra Day celebration in Bihar - Apr 16, 2012
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Samajwadi Party files complaint against Raj Thackeray - Aug 22, 2012
- Lalu to march to Bihar's villages 'to expose' Nitish - May 14, 2012
- Raj Thackeray again attacks north Indian migrants - Jul 18, 2011
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- North Indian attacks: Raj Thackeray to surrender before court on Monday - Jun 28, 2009
Tags: alliance government, chhat puja, chief minister, controversial remarks, indian migrants, instigation, maharashta, manmohan, manmohan singh, new challenge, patna, political rival, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, raj thackeray, stern action, stringent action, vilas, violent attacks