Nitish Kumar shares stage with Modi at NDA rally (Lead)May 10th, 2009 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Ludhiana, May 10 (IANS) After having categorically stated that he would not share the stage with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Bihar Chief Minister and Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Nitish Kumar did exactly the opposite Sunday.
Sweeping aside all speculation about his switching sides, Nitish Kumar arrived in this industrial city of Punjab Sunday afternoon to participate in a rally by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led NDA that was meant to be a show of strength of the alliance.
Throughout the rally, Kumar and Modi sat in the front row of top NDA leaders on the same stage.
Modi, who arrived a few minutes late at the rally venue, made it a point to meet Nitish Kumar, who in turn greeted the BJP leader. The two clasped each other’s hand and raised it to greet people. They briefly spoke to each other.
Nitish Kumar had recently said he would not share the stage with Modi during election rallies. He had also opposed a move by a section of BJP leaders to propose Modi’s name for prime ministership.
Nitish Kumar sat next to BJP president Rajnath Singh and the party’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani.
Earlier, Nitish Kumar had said at Patna airport before leaving for the rally that there was no question of his joining any other political formation - the United Progressive Alliance or the so-called Third Front - and he was very much part of the NDA.
Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi had last week praised Nitish Kumar, triggering speculation that the Congress was trying to break some of the NDA allies for a post-poll alliance in government formation.
Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) leader K. Chandrasekhara Rao, who earlier announced his party’s intention to join the NDA fold, was also at the rally.
The NDA rally is being seen as a show of strength by the BJP to show that its alliance was intact before judgement day May 16.
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Nitish Kumar attends NDA rally, TRS too joins in - May 10, 2009
- Stage set for Nitish, Modi to share dais again - Jun 08, 2010
- Allies, chief ministers line up for NDA rally - May 10, 2009
- Nitish at NDA rally: I am here to show loyalty and unity - May 10, 2009
- NDA showcases unity at Ludhiana rally (Lead/Rroundup) - May 10, 2009
- RSS backs Narendra Modi as prime ministerial candidate - Jun 20, 2012
- Nobody has right to give fatwa on secularism: BJP - Jun 20, 2012
- Few takers for Sushil Modi's claim that Nitish PM material - Sep 03, 2012
- No possibility of Third Front: Nitish Kumar - Mar 12, 2012
- NDA PM should be like Vajpayee: Sushil Modi - Jun 19, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Punjab politics takes a backseat in NDA show of strength - May 10, 2009
- Leave BJP, Lalu tells Nitish - Aug 16, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: asian news, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp leaders, election rallies, government formation, judgement day, l k advani, narendra modi, nda allies, patna airport, pgb, political formation, poll alliance, post poll, prime ministerial candidate, prime ministership, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, show of strength