Nitish Kumar demands special category status for BiharSeptember 19th, 2012 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 19 (IANS) In a rare political show, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar took to the streets Wednesday to demand a special category status for the state to hasten its development.
Nitish Kumar began his ‘Adhikar Yatra ‘(Rights March) from Bettaih in West Champaran district, aimed at drumming up mass support for a proposed rally in the state capital to demand special category status for the state.
It will be the first mass rally of the ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) since it came to power in November 2005.
In his first public meeting at Bettiah district headquarters, Nitish Kumar reiterated his demand, saying that it is high time the central government gave the state a special category status.
During his march, the chief minister will cover over two dozen district towns and hundreds of rural pockets to rally support.
“Bihar should be accorded special category status for its development. We will fight for it,” Nitish said in his address.
West Champaran is a significant venue since that is where Mahatma Gandhi had launched his first civil disobedience movement against the British rule.
Nitish Kumar said that Bihar was lagging behind on several fronts and the pace of economic development will increase only if it got a special category status.
“Bihar’s per capita income and investment is lowest in the country. It lags behind in all human resource indices,” he said.
- Bihar needs special status: Nitish Kumar - Aug 15, 2012
- Nitish Kumar will return to power: Advani - Oct 25, 2010
- We will take special status for Bihar: Nitish Kumar - Aug 27, 2011
- Poll panel should organise debates between leaders: Advani - Oct 29, 2010
- Voting begins for third phase of Bihar polls (Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Bihar polls: Voting under way for third phase (Second Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Budget is directionless, says Nitish Kumar - Feb 28, 2011
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- Council to decide special status for Bihar: PM - Oct 20, 2011
- Nitish Kumar starts march to gain people's confidence - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: category status, central government, champaran, chief minister, civil disobedience movement, district headquarters, economic development, high time, human resource, jd, mahatma gandhi, mass rally, mass support, nitish kumar, pace, patna, pockets, resource indices, venue