Nirmal Khatri appointed UP Congress chief (Lead)August 29th, 2012 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow/New Delhi, Aug 28 (IANS) Congress MP Nirmal Khatri has been appointed Uttar Pradesh Congress president, replacing Rita Bahuguna Joshi, who had put in her papers after the party put up a poor show in the March state assembly polls.
Khatri, who represents Faizabad in parliament, was appointed to the post Monday night, party leaders said.
“Congress president Sonia Gandhi has appointed Nirmal Khatri, MP as president of Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee with immediate effect,” a party statement said Tuesday.
Khatri, 61, belongs to the traditional Vaish business community and is considered uncontroversial. He is known to be close to both the Congress chief and her son, party general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
His stint with the Congress began as a Youth Congress worker in the 1970s. He was Youth Congress president in 1982, secretary of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) between 2004 and 2010 and also minister of state in the state twice in the 1980s. He was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1984 after former prime minister Indira Gandhi’s assassination.
A special invitee to the Congress Working Committee (CWC), Khatri was also member of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) set up to examine matters related to the allocation and princing of telecom licenses and spectrum.
The Congress leadership had hinted at a revamp of the state unit after the poll debacle in March. In June, Pradeep Mathur was made new Congress Legislature Party (CLP) chief in place of old loyalist Pramod Tiwari.
The Congress has been out of power in Uttar Pradesh since 1989 after the Mandal and the Ram Mandir movements saw it lose its hold on one of the party’s long standing bastions.
- Nirmal Khatri appointed UP Congress chief - Aug 28, 2012
- UPCC chief wants utility before loyalty from cadres - Sep 11, 2012
- No major surprises in Sonia's new team of office-bearers - Mar 05, 2011
- New UP Congress chief inherits a legacy of failures (News Analysis) - Sep 12, 2012
- New Congress Working Committee announced - Mar 04, 2011
- Sonia names new working committee, makes changes in key states (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Sonia rejigs Congress Working Committee (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Tiwari goes as Congress house leader, Mathur in (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- CWC meet begins, economic situation on agenda - Jun 04, 2012
- CWC likely to ask Sonia to choose presidential nominee (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- CWC meet June 4 to discuss presidential poll, price rice - May 29, 2012
- Vijay Bahuguna named new Uttarakhand chief minister (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- CWC to meet Monday to bolster party's fortunes - Jun 03, 2012
- Vijay Bahuguna named Uttarakhand chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Congress demands CBI probe into UP engineer's death (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: aicc, bastions, congress leadership, congress legislature party, congress president sonia gandhi, congress working committee, former prime minister, india congress committee, indira gandhi, Lok Sabha, mandal, poll debacle, pradeep mathur, pramod, prime minister indira, rahul gandhi, ram mandir, state assembly polls, telecom licenses, youth congress