Nine multimillionaire candidates in HimachalMay 9th, 2009 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 9 (IANS) Erstwhile royal and five-time former chief minister Virbhadra Singh of the Congress leads the pack of nine rich Lok Sabha candidates in Himachal Pradesh who have assets worth Rs.1 crore (Rs.10 million) or more.
There has been an average increase of 557 percent in the individual assets of eight candidates since they contested the 2004 elections, claims the NGO National Election Watch.
The NGO studied the affidavits of all the 31 candidates in the four parliamentary constituencies - Shimla, Kangra, Mandi and Hamirpur - in the state that go to polls May 13.
“Nine candidates have assets worth Rs.1 crore (Rs.10 million) and above, while five have liabilities of more than Rs.20 lakh (Rs.2 million),” he said.
“Congress leader and five-time former chief minister Virbhadra Singh leads the pack of the rich. His assets are over Rs.20.5 crore (Rs.205 million),” Anil Bairwal, national coordinator of the NGO, told IANS.
Virbhadra Singh belongs to the former royal family of Bushehr state.
According to Bairwal, the average asset value of a Congress candidate is Rs.60 million, while that of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is Rs.20 million and of the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) is Rs.79,000.
“There has been an average increase of 557 percent in the individual assets of eight candidates since they contested the last parliamentary elections in 2004,” Bairwal said, adding that Virbhadra Singh’s assets show an increase of 58 percent.
The analysis further revealed that five candidates, including Virbhadra Singh and Anurag Thakur (the BJP candidate for Hamirpur), have liabilities of more than Rs.2 million.
Regarding educational qualifications, 17 candidates are graduates or have higher degrees. The state has just 3.3 percent candidates with a criminal record against the nationwide average of 15.47 percent.
The fair sex may constitute 49 percent of the electorate in the state, but the Rashtrawadi Sena is the only party which has fielded a woman candidate - from Kangra. No woman figures in the candidates list of the two prominent parties - the BJP and the Congress, notes the NGO.
- 'Criminal charges against 9 percent MCD poll nominees' - Apr 10, 2012
- New Punjab assembly a 'crorepati' club - Mar 11, 2012
- Multimillionaire ex Himachal chief minister doesn't own car - Apr 23, 2009
- Announce chief minister candidates early: Virbhadra - Apr 10, 2012
- Shimla polls: Stakes high for BJP, Congress - May 25, 2012
- BJP tries to mop up votes with sops (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Three of top four rich contestants are mining contractors - Feb 22, 2012
- 49 newly-elected MCD councillors face criminal charges - Apr 19, 2012
- BJP sweeping polls in Himachal Pradesh - May 16, 2009
- Kejriwal is BJP agent, says Digvijay Singh - Jul 21, 2012
- Setback for Virbhadra in Himachal poll arena? (News Analysis) - Jun 26, 2012
- Five-time Himachal minister dead - Sep 01, 2012
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012
- Anxiety in BJP over move to make Virbhadra Himachal Congress chief (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 25, 2012
- Sonia rallies in Himachal in September - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: 1 crore, anurag, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, bjp candidate, chief minister, congress candidate, congress leader, educational qualifications, fair sex, hamirpur, Lok Sabha, multimillionaire, national coordinator, national election, parliamentary constituencies, parliamentary elections, rs 2, shimla