Nine killed as Maoists attack securitymen on poll duty in Jharkhand (Lead)April 16th, 2009 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 16 (IANS) Seven Border Security Force (BSF) personnel going for polling duty were killed in a landmine blast triggered by Maoist rebels in Latehar district of Jharkhand early Thursday, police said. The driver and assistant of the bus in which they were travelling were also killed.
“Seven BSF personnel were killed in a landmine blast in a jungle near Aara village. Police officials have rushed there to assess the situation,” Sarvendu Thagat, Latehar district deputy police commissioner, told IANS on phone.
The driver and his assistant were also killed, Jharkhand police spokesman S.N. Pradhan told IANS here.
Maoist rebels detonated the landmine when the BSF personnel were travelling in a bus to a polling station near Aara village, about 140 km from here.
After the landmine blast, the guerrillas ambushed the BSF bus. A gunbattle followed between the rebels and security forces.
There were two more gunbattles going on between secrity forces and Maoists in Jharkhand, Pradhan added. One was in Khuti district and the other in Palamau. Polling had been disrupted in these areas.
The police spokesman said polling had been disrupted in seven other places in Palamau and Chatra districts as Maoists attacked the polling stations. In Khuti district, villagers had disrupted polling in one station.
On Monday, Maoist rebels had ambushed a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) bus in the same district, killing two security personnel and the bus driver. Five Maoist rebels were also killed in the ensuing gunbattle.
Polling began in six Lok Sabha seats of the state Thursday morning. It is scheduled in eight more seats April 23.
- Nine killed, four abducted in Jharkhand Maoist attacks on poll day (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Six BSF personnel killed in landmine blast in Jharkhand - Apr 16, 2009
- Low turnout in Jharkhand as Maoist violence kills nine (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Moderate turnout in Jharkhand amid Maoist attacks (Fourth lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Five Maoists killed in Jharkhand - Mar 15, 2011
- Jharkhand police get hijacked bus, driver's body - Dec 02, 2011
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- 13 Jharkhand policemen killed in Maoist ambush - Jan 21, 2012
- One trooper killed, three injured in Jharkhand landmine blast - Apr 17, 2009
- Tributes paid to five dead police personnel in Jharkhand - Jul 17, 2010
- At least 17 killed as Maoists attack election officials (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Violent start to polling in Maoist areas, 11 killed (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Jharkhand and Bihar Maoists in attack mode before elections - Apr 15, 2009
- Ten Naxal strikes in five states on polling day, at least 11 killed - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoist killed in Jharkhand - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: border security force, bus driver, chatra, deputy police commissioner, district deputy, guerrillas, gunbattle, landmine blast, lok sabha seats, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, police officials, police spokesman, poll duty, polling station, polling stations, reserve police, security personnel, thursday morning