Nine CPRF men, three Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead)April 11th, 2009 - 12:17 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 10 (IANS) Around 100 armed Maoists attacked a security forces patrol, killing nine Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel, including an officer, and injuring eight troopers in Chhattisgarh’s restive Bastar region Friday. Three ultras also were killed in the retaliatory fire.
The police said the Maoists, armed with AK-47s, ambushed a joint CRPF and District Forces patrol in a forested village in Dantewada district’s Chintagufa area, about 445 km south of capital Raipur.
“It was an ambush. Nine CRPF men, including deputy commandant Diwakar Tiwari, were killed and at least eight other personnel received bullet wounds in a three-hour long gun battle that ended around 3.30 p.m.,” Rahul Sharma, Dantewada district superintendent of police, told IANS.
Those killed and injured belonged to the 55th battalion of the CRPF, the official said. The police recovered the bodies of three militants besides some arms, including AK-47s, from the attack site.
Pawan Deo, deputy inspector general, police headquarters, said the injured CRPF personnel, including an assistant commandant, were airlifted to a government hospital at Jagdalpur town in Bastar district.
Maoists have stepped up violence in the state since the announcement of Lok Sabha polls last month and ordered people to stay away from the poll process. Chhattisgarh’s 11 Lok Sabha seats go to the polls April 16.
- Maoists ambush CRPF patrol in Chhattisgarh, nine killed (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- CRPF officer killed, 10 others injured in Maoist attack - Apr 10, 2009
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Maoists' attack trail in the past year - Apr 06, 2010
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists kill 26 security personnel in deadly Chhattisgarh attack (Night Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Chhattisgarh seeks extra troopers for Bastar by-poll - Apr 25, 2011
- Six troopers among seven killed by Chhattisgarh Maoists - May 14, 2012
- Maoists open fire near CRPF camps in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- Maoists attack police station in Chhattisgarh - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists open fire near CRPF camps in Chhattisgarh - Apr 21, 2010
- Chhattisgarh cops search forests after Maoist attack - Apr 21, 2010
- Maoists kill five security men in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: ak 47s, assistant commandant, bastar district, bullet wounds, cprf, deo, deputy commandant, deputy inspector general, district superintendent, government hospital, gun battle, lok sabha polls, lok sabha seats, maoists, police force, police headquarters, rahul sharma, reserve police, retaliatory fire, ultras