Nikki Haley cashing in on union bashing videoMay 24th, 2012 - 1:06 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 24 (IANS) South Carolina’s Indian American Governor Nikki Haley is trying to cash in on a recent video featuring a state union leader bashing a purple and black pinata, a decorative hanging, bearing her face.
Haley sent out a donation request via Twitter, calling on people to stand with her against what she calls “bullying” from union leaders, according to ABC news.
“Stand with me and help fight back now against the bullying of Liberal unions. Donate here,” Haley tweeted along with a link to a fundraising page featuring the video.
In the YouTube video uploaded Sunday, Donna Dewitt, president of the state’s AFL-CIO, the biggest US labour organization, is seen dealing nine intense blows with a baseball bat to the pinata bearing Haley’s photo and a quote of hers: “Unions are not needed, wanted or welcome in South Carolina.”
The Republican Governors Association also released a one minute video called “Does President (Barack) Obama Condone This?” linking the president to the incident.
The video features a clip of Obama from March when he condemned the controversial comments conservative radio show host Rush Limbaugh made about Sandra Fluke, a Georgetown law student and contraception activist, inter-spliced with footage of the pinata smashing incident.
The video ends with the phrase “Does President Obama condone this kind of behavior from union bosses?” emblazoned across the screen as Dewitt continues to pound the Haley pinata.
The national AFL-CIO said the incident was not “an appropriate joke” and “There’s plenty to talk about in Governor Haley’s awful record” in a serious conversation about how to rebuild America and its middle class.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Nikki slams Obama as Romney clinches nomination - Aug 29, 2012
- Nikki Haley skips White House dinner to meet friends - Feb 28, 2012
- Easing of Myanmar sanctions too early: Rights groups - Apr 26, 2012
- Nikki Haley publishing her memoir - Jul 01, 2011
- Bachelor boy Obama goes without birthday - Aug 05, 2010
- Gingrich wins key Republican primary in South Carolina - Jan 22, 2012
- Nikki Haley says no to Veep - Aug 19, 2011
- Nikki Haley hit by Time, Twitter (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Obama vows to fight India, China for new jobs - Aug 05, 2010
- Obama to award Bush 'Presidential Medal of Freedom' - Nov 18, 2010
- Will you give more tip to Sikh drivers, Nikki Haley asked - Apr 10, 2012
- Today is US President Barack Obama's 49th birthday - Aug 05, 2010
- Sarah Palin wants some answers on why Obama contacted Sandra Fluke's parents - Mar 08, 2012
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- Nikki Haley spreads welcome mat for Indian companies - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: abc news, afl cio, american governor, arun kumar, barack obama, baseball bat, conservative radio, controversial comments, donation request, donna dewitt, georgetown law, labour organization, news stand, republican governors association, rush limbaugh, serious conversation, union bosses, union leader, video ends, youtube video