NHRC issues notices to Maharashtra top cop, chief secretaryOctober 22nd, 2008 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 22 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Monday issued notices to Maharashtra’s director general of police and chief secretary over attacks on north Indians by the supporters of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) led by Raj Thackeray. “The commission has taken suo-motu cognisance of distressing media reports on incidents of attack on north Indian aspirants for railway jobs by the MNS and has issued notices to the chief secretary, government of Maharashtra and the DGP (director general of police) for their comments on the issue,” an NHRC official told IANS.
The commission has given them two weeks’ time to respond.
Thackeray, nephew of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, was arrested Tuesday morning after being charged with provoking hatred among communities as well as rioting, assault and damage to property after his supporters Sunday added another chapter to their campaign against non-Maharashtrians.
“The MNS reportedly did not shy away from promoting a violent form of ethnic politics to build its base and disrupted the Railway Recruitment Board Exams in Mumbai on Oct 19 demanding that only Maharashtrians be recruited to fill vacancies in central and western railways.
“It is also stated in the press reports that the state government’s response to the violent activities of the MNS, have not generated confidence, on the contrary the state’s inaction seems to have boosted MNS’ proclivities,” the official said.
The commission said it has also made a note of MNS’s row with the Bachchan family. Raj Thackeray had earlier spoken against Jaya Bachchan for preferring to speak in Hindi at a music launch function in Mumbai and his party workers tried to obstruct the release of a Amitabh Bachchan movie forcing the organisers to abandon the premiere.
“The commission in its notice has said that the contents of the press reports, if true, raise serious issue of violation of human rights of the citizens of the country,” the official said.
- MNS to help Maharashtrian youths with railway exam - Feb 02, 2011
- NHRC notice to Maharashtra Government on MNS activities - Oct 23, 2008
- Maharashtra rapped for failure to protect migrants - Mar 18, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- Modi ignores Uddhav, says Raj - Sep 21, 2011
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra Govt.on MNS activities - Oct 22, 2008
- Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh cops - Mar 15, 2011
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Rights panel issues notice for crackdown on Ramdev - Jun 06, 2011