NHRC issues notice to Jharkhand governmentSeptember 13th, 2012 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Thursday issued notice to the Jharkhand government on police action on a protest against acquisition of agricultural land in which one person was killed and several others injured.
“We have issued notice to the chief secretary and director general of police in Jharkhand asking them to file reports within four weeks on the matter,” said an official of the NHRC.
According to news reports, in a protest Sep 4 against acquisition of agricultural land in Ranchi, one Bolo Uraon, a government servant was killed and several others were injured. One of the reports also carried a photo of a person partially lying under the wheels of a police vehicle.
“Thousands of people belonging to Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (JVM) were protesting against the acquisition of agricultural land when police rained batons and fired tear gas shells on the demonstrators,” the NHRC spokesperson quoted the media report.
The Commission has observed that the media report, if true, raises a serious issue of violation of human rights.
- One killed as protesters, police clash in Ranchi - Sep 03, 2012
- Jharkhand parties protest land recovery for IIT, IIM - Jul 10, 2012
- Rights panel finalises Bhatta-Parsaul report - Jul 05, 2011
- Rights panel preparing reports on Uttar Pradesh assaults - Jun 24, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
- Jharkhand assembly disrupted over Marandi's arrest - Mar 10, 2011
- Legislator tears own shirt in Jharkhand assembly - Sep 03, 2012
- Sivakasi blast: NHRC notice to Tamil Nadu - Sep 07, 2012
- Jharkhand stops land acquisition for BCCL - Mar 23, 2012
- Police complaint against Jharkhand BJP president - Jul 02, 2011
- Jharkhand protesters block train movements - Sep 11, 2011
- Protest against land acquisition in Jharkhand turns violent - Jul 05, 2012
- Rights panel issues notice to Tamil Nadu - Aug 22, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to UP government - Jul 25, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu police on killings - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: acquisition, agricultural land, bolo, chief secretary, demonstrators, director general, gas shells, government servant, human rights commission, jharkhand government, jvm, national human rights commission, New Delhi, news reports, nhrc, police action, police vehicle, spokesperson, tear gas, violation of human rights