NGO contracts: Chhattisgarh minister criticised for irregularitiesFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 23 (IANS) The opposition Congress in Chhattisgarh Wednesday grilled senior minister Ramvichar Netam during question hour in the state assembly over alleged irregularities in awarding contracts to NGOs for several government-run schemes.Netam, who holds the panchayat and rural development portfolios, found it difficult to handle the questions posed by opposition members, who demanded the minister explain the “loot of public money by NGOs in government-schemes by flouting established norms”.
Members of the Congress, besides a legislator of the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), hit out at the minister for favouring NGOs in integrated watershed management programmes and allotting works worth millions of rupees by flouting rules set for NGOs while awarding contracts.
BJP member Devjibhai Patel and Congress legislators hurled documents in the house and claimed that several NGOs were awarded works in key schemes in the state by the government though they had zero work experience.
Though Netam rejected charges of corruption and compromising of rules by his department while involving NGOs, assembly speaker Dharamlal Kaushik handed over the issue to the Questions and Reference Committee of the house.
- Over 400 centrally-funded roads found defective in Chhattisgarh - Mar 03, 2011
- Chhattisgarh assembly stalled over 'dam sell-out' - Mar 03, 2011
- Chhattisgarh assembly to take up no-trust motion Friday - Dec 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh government hauled up over CAG expose - Apr 04, 2012
- Congress walks out of Chhattisgarh assembly - Jul 28, 2010
- Chhattisgarh assembly stalled over 'dam sell-out' (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Chhattisgarh assembly adjourned amid protests - Dec 08, 2010
- House panel to probe Chhattisgarh 'dam sale' - Mar 04, 2011
- Chhattisgarh ministers appear for 'test' before Gadkari - Aug 11, 2011
- Fierce debate as Chhattisgarh assembly discusses no-trust motion - Dec 16, 2011
- Maoist terror holds up construction of Chhattisgarh roads - Mar 19, 2010
- 38 opposition MLAs suspended in Chhattisgarh - Aug 29, 2011
- 29 Chhattisgarh legislators suspended - Mar 12, 2010
- Congress creates uproar in Chhattisgarh assembly - Mar 26, 2012
- Presidential polls: Fear of poaching haunts Chhattisgarh parties - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: assembly speaker, criticised, government schemes, integrated watershed management, irregularities, kaushik, legislator, legislators, loot, ngo, norms, opposition congress, opposition members, public money, reference committee, rupees, rural development, senior minister, state assembly, work experience