New Tripura Congress chief appointedFebruary 5th, 2010 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Feb 5 (IANS) Surajit Dutta, former minister and senior Congress legislator, has been appointed as Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee chief by party president Sonia Gandhi, a party spokesman said Friday.
Dutta, 61, replaces former chief minister Samir Ranjan Barman.
“An official letter signed by AICC (All India Congress Committee) general secretary Janardan Dwivedi received here Thursday night confirmed that party President Sonia Gandhi has appointed five-time MLA Surajit Dutta as Tripura party chief,” Congress spokesman Tapas Dey told reporters here.
He added: “To strengthen the party organisation against the ruling CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist)-led Left Front, Sonia Gandhi appointed a new party leader in Tripura.”
Dutta said his first and foremost priority would be to revamp and strengthen the Congress, starting from the grassroots level.
Last month, seven of the total 10 Congress MLAs, including party legislator Ratan Lal Nath, asked Gandhi to oust Barman, alleging massive irregularities in the organisational election and non-functioning of the party in the state.
- Barman is new Congress chief in Left-ruled Tripura - Apr 21, 2012
- PM calls off northeast visit - Jul 17, 2011
- Congress legislators revolt against party chiefs in Tripura, Nagaland - Jan 04, 2010
- Chandrabhan named Congress chief in Rajasthan - Jun 08, 2011
- Rahul to visit northeast next week - Nov 03, 2011
- President's son's visit exposes cracks in Tripura Congress - Sep 10, 2012
- Sonia appoints Gnanadesikan as Tamil Nadu Congress chief - Nov 11, 2011
- Congress session on Nov 2 - Oct 13, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi to kick start poll campaign in Tripura - Oct 17, 2011
- No problem between Sonia Gandhi, PM: Congress spokesman - Dec 14, 2010
- Ambika Soni, Tewari in Congress' Punjab coordination panel - May 11, 2011
- Sonia goes abroad for check up - Sep 01, 2012
- Shankarsinh Vaghela to head Congress' Gujarat campaign panel - Sep 02, 2011
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- Sonia thanks non-UPA parties for support to Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: chief minister, committee chief, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress chief, congress mlas, congress spokesman, foremost priority, grassroots level, india congress committee, nath, party chief, party leader, party organisation, party president, party spokesman, ranjan, sonia gandhi, spokesman said friday, tripura