New government sworn in GreeceNovember 11th, 2011 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, Nov 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Greece’s new coalition government, led by former European Central Bank vice president Lucas Papademos, was sworn in Friday.
The ceremony, led by Hieronymos II, the Archbishop of Athens and All Greece, saw the 49 cabinet members swear to uphold the constitution.
Papademos was named the new Greek prime minister Thursday. He replaced George Papandreou, who announced Wednesday he was resigning after a disastrous call for a referendum on the eurozone rescue package.
The new premier announced that his government will be transitional and focus on securing European Union bailout tranches.
The government was formed by members of three parties - the center-left PASOK party, the center-right New Democracy party and small ultra-right Laos party.
The New Democracy appointed seven its members to key ministerial posts, including foreign and defence ministers. Four ministers were appointed by the Laos party.
Evangelos Venizelos, the country’s finance minister and chief negotiator with the troika of international lenders, retained his post.
- Greek PM resigns; polls set for February - Nov 07, 2011
- New Greek government wins confidence vote - Nov 17, 2011
- New Democracy party leads in Greek polls - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro falters over Italy, Greece political uncertainty - Nov 09, 2011
- EU urges Greece to reaffirm reform commitment - Nov 08, 2011
- Antonis Samaras sworn in as Greece prime minister - Jun 20, 2012
- Greek leaders fail to agree on new PM - Nov 10, 2011
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government - Jun 18, 2012
- Greek cabinet sworn in - Jun 22, 2012
- Euro referendum needless, says Greek finance minister - Nov 04, 2011
- Greece votes in parliamentary elections (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Greece poised for further spending cuts - Feb 06, 2012
- Greek PM wins crucial confidence vote (Second Lead) - Nov 05, 2011
- Greek prime minister denies any resignation plan - Jun 16, 2011
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: bailout, cabinet members, chief negotiator, coalition government, defence ministers, democracy party, evangelos, finance minister, george papandreou, greece athens, greek prime minister, international lenders, laos, ministerial posts, new democracy, pasok, referendum, ria novosti, troika, vm