New French president’s first flight struck by lightningMay 15th, 2012 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 15 (IANS) A plane carrying new French President Francois Hollande to Germany was forced to return to Paris Tuesday after it was struck by a lightning, BBC reported.
Hours after taking oath as new French president, Hollande was on his way to hold talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Hollande later took another plane and headed for Berlin where he was expected to reach at 19.30 hours GMT.
Earlier in the day, Hollande was sworn in for a five-year term at the Elysee Palace in Paris, becoming France’s first Socialist president in 17 years.
In his inauguration speech, Hollande said he wished to deliver a “message of confidence”.
“My mandate is to bring France back to justice, open up a new path in Europe, contribute to world peace and preserve the planet.”
The new president said he was fully aware of challenges facing France, which he summarised as “huge debt, weak growth, reduced competitiveness, and a Europe that is struggling to emerge from a crisis”.
Hollande also said he wanted other European leaders to sign an accord that “ties the necessary reduction of deficit to the indispensable stimulation of the economy”.
- Sarkozy accepts French PM's resignation - May 11, 2012
- Francois Hollande sworn in as French president - May 15, 2012
- World leaders congratulate Hollande - May 07, 2012
- Sarkozy concedes defeat, wishes Hollande good luck - May 07, 2012
- Sarkozy challenges Hollande to public debates - Apr 23, 2012
- Sarkozy pledges budget surplus if re-elected - Apr 06, 2012
- Hollande, the next French president (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Sarkozy to return to old law firm - May 09, 2012
- Francois Hollande: The next president of France - May 07, 2012
- Hollande gives Sarkozy a run for his money (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- 'Sarkozy got 50 million euros from Gaddafi' - Apr 29, 2012
- Millions of French vote to decide Sarkozy's fate (Third Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- France votes in crucial presidential run-off - May 06, 2012
- Hollande beats Sarkozy in French presidential polls (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- France votes to choose Sarkozy or Hollande (Lead) - May 06, 2012
Tags: 17 years, angela merkel, bbc, challenges, chancellor angela merkel, competitiveness, confidence, economy, elysee palace, european leaders, first flight, francois hollande, german chancellor angela merkel, inauguration speech, lightning, mandate, new french president, new president, socialist president, world peace