New clashes in Jerusalem, West BankMarch 13th, 2010 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, March 13 (DPA) Groups of young Palestinians rioted Saturday in the old city of Jerusalem and the West bank after Israeli police closed both areas to devout Muslims seeking to go to the Al-Aqsa Mosque in the Temple Mount.
Five of the rioters were arrested.
Arab youths tried to break through Israeli police controls at the Nablus Gate in the old city of Jerusalem. Another was arrested after attacking a police officer while trying to reach the prayer area.
Other clashes occurred at different gates of the Temple Mount, though no injuries were reported at those sites.
The old city of Jerusalem has been closed to Muslim prayers since Friday morning. Israeli police have also banned worshippers under 50 from reaching the Temple Mount.
A few dozens Palestinians also rioted with Molotov cockails. Four of them were arrested at the checkpoint of Qalandia, in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
Residents of the West Bank have been barred from crossing into Jerusalem and Israel since the sealing of the Palestinian territories imposed Friday morning.
Israeli police deployed near 3,000 officers in East Jerusalem Friday to control possible riots.
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Jordan condemns Israeli settlers' breaking into Al-Aqsa mosque - Feb 20, 2012
- Palestinians organise local marathon to reject Israeli one - Mar 19, 2012
- Violent riots erupt in Jerusalem, at least 10 Israelis wounded - Sep 22, 2010
- Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel border - Jun 05, 2011
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- 3 injured, 7 arrested in clashes between Israeli troops and anti-wall protesters in West Bank - Jul 23, 2011
- Israel arrests Palestinians in West Bank raids - Jun 23, 2010
- Palestinian prisoner's wife delivers baby via smuggled semen - Aug 13, 2012
- Israeli troops kill six in Gaza, West Bank - Dec 26, 2009
- Tensions rise in West Bank as settlers vandalize mosque - Dec 12, 2009
- Settlers and Palestinians clash in West Bank village; one dead, one injured - Jan 29, 2011
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Israeli army demolishes West Bank mosque - Oct 11, 2011
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: al aqsa mosque, arab youths, checkpoint, clashes, east jerusalem, friday morning, israeli police, molotov, muslim prayers, old city of jerusalem, palestinian territories, palestinians, prayer area, ramallah, rioters, riots, temple mount, west bank, west bank city, worshippers