New charges filed against former Detroit Mayor Kwame KilpatrickDecember 16th, 2010 - 8:39 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Detroit, Dec 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is in trouble again.
This time the jailed former mayor has been indicted on racketeering charges. A grand jury decided that charges should be brought against the former mayor and four other people including his father, Bernard Kilpatrick on Wednesday.
The other people indicted in the 38-count, 89-page indictment document are city contractor Bobby Ferguson, former top Kilpatrick aide Derrick Miller and former water department chief Victor Mercado.
The document says that the indicted men received kickbacks and received bribes from individuals and organizations in the city.
Kwame’s defense attorney said that the allegations against his client are false. He said that his client was confident that the charges will not wash against his client. He said that, “We look forward to fighting this case. I’ve talked to my client who is upbeat and is up for the fight. We expect that he’s going to be vindicated at trial as well.”
Details of the indictment document were obtained by the Free-Press. The paper reported that the document accused Kwame of receiving more than $424,000 in kickbacks that was received by Ferguson.
Kwame’s father, Bernard is also accused of depositing more than $600,000 into his personal account.
- America Initiates Additional Charges Against Kwame Kilpatrick, The Former Mayor Of Detroit - Dec 16, 2010
- Kwame Kilpatrick And His Father Facing Legal Wrath Owing To Corruption Charges - Dec 16, 2010
- Ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick Indicted Of 19 Counts Of Fraud And Tax Charges - Jun 24, 2010
- Ex-Detroit Mayor accused of Fraud And Tax Charges - Jun 24, 2010
- Arrest warrant issued for former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick - Feb 26, 2010
- Kwame Kilpatrick Sentenced To Jail For 5 Years - May 26, 2010
- The Backers Of Kwame Kilpatrick State That His Sentencing Is A Demonstration Of Racial Prejudice - May 26, 2010
- Ex-Detroit Mayor Ordered To Pay $300,000 - Jan 21, 2010
- Kwame Kilpatrick Sentencing: Awarded 5 years in prison - May 26, 2010
- Nikki Haley may win South Carolina governor race - Nov 01, 2010
- Former US crime kingpin sentenced to 218 years - Aug 25, 2012
- Congress cries foul over Yeddyurappa; asks BJP to go - Oct 16, 2011
- Two former employees of Bernard Madoff arrested - Nov 19, 2010
- Minister in trouble again, could alter poll pitch (Goa newsletter) - Feb 03, 2012
- Evidence of mining kickbacks to Yeddyurappa: NGO - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: allegations, bobby ferguson, bribes, defense attorney, department chief, derrick, detroit mayor kwame kilpatrick, free press, grand jury, indictment, kickbacks, mayor kwame kilpatrick, personal account, racketeering charges, water department