New campaign to spread awareness against dowryNovember 25th, 2009 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 25 (IANS) Concerned over continuing cases of harassment of women, the women and child development ministry Wednesday launched a new campaign to rope in school girls and sensitise them against the custom of dowry.
Under the campaign ‘Daughters against Dowry’, the ministry plans to organise workshops in schools across the country to sensitise girls against the custom of dowry.
“Laws can not help us to get rid of the evil of dowry completely and civil society should also come forward in a big way to run a mass campaign to fight against this evil. Our aim is to inculcate the will to fight against dowry among girls,” Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said.
The campaign was launched on the occasion of International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women Wednesday.
“Violence against women and girl child in a civilised society is totally unjustified and unacceptable. Educated sections of the society should actively come forward and expose the evil completely,” Home Minister P. Chidambaram, who was present on the occasion, said.
- President calls for social movement for gender equality - Apr 09, 2011
- Mass awareness is must against domestic violence: Krishna Tirath - Nov 13, 2009
- Need to change attitude towards girl child: Tirath - Jan 24, 2012
- Krishna Tirath launches National Girls Day celebrations - Jan 22, 2010
- Apex child rights panel to complete five years - Mar 03, 2012
- 62 percent women feel domestic abuse is right! - Sep 18, 2011
- WCD Ministry committed towards socio-economic empowerment of women - Mar 08, 2011
- Government to launch awareness drive against 'honour killings' - Oct 29, 2009
- Need to fight bias against girl child: President - Aug 14, 2011
- Campaign launched for awareness to prevent violence against women - Oct 02, 2009
- Dowry a curse, that's why girls are killed: President Patil - Oct 06, 2010
- Campaign against violence on women launched with human chain - Oct 02, 2009
- Gandhi Jayanti to focus on violence against women - Oct 01, 2009
- Saluting ordinary women doing extraordinary work on Women's Day - Mar 08, 2011
- Dowry, sexual harassment laws among government priorities - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: aim, child development, civilised society, development minister, development ministry, dowry, girl child, girls women, harassment, home minister, krishna, New Delhi, p chidambaram, rope, school girls, violence against women