New bank accounts mandatory for candidatesDecember 24th, 2011 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 24 (IANS) All candidates in the upcoming elections in Goa, Manipur, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand will have to open new bank accounts from which alone they can spend campaign money.
Announcing this here Saturday, Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Qureshi said this would help facilitate monitoring election expenditure.
“Candidates would be required to open a separate bank account and incur their election expenses from that very account,” Qureshi told a news conference.
“Flying squads”, video surveillance teams and income tax officers would monitor the money spend by candidates and political parties, he said.
“The format for filing of affidavits regarding criminal background, assets, liabilities and educational qualification of candidates has been modified,” he said.
- Five states to go to polls January-March (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Five states to pick new assemblies in January-March (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2011
- Chief Election Commissioner declares modalities of election - Mar 18, 2011
- EC meets political parties to explain new instructions for forthcoming elections - Mar 09, 2011
- Five states to see elections in January-March (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Election complaints? Dial 1950 - Dec 24, 2011
- Now, poll bank accounts must for candidates: Moily - Nov 22, 2010
- 20 to 40 percent legislators have criminal records says embarrassed Chief Election Commissioner - Mar 23, 2011
- Election Commission to monitor 'paid news' - Dec 28, 2011
- Debt trap: Trinamool candidate in Goa in hiding - Mar 30, 2012
- Women voters outnumber men in Kerala - Mar 02, 2011
- Reports of monitoring Hazare finances baseless: Poll panel - Dec 27, 2011
- EC appoints about 1000 observers for Assembly polls - Mar 10, 2011
- Team Anna's conduct will be monitored: Quraishi - Dec 25, 2011
- Dates for assembly polls within next few days: Quraishi - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: affidavits, assets liabilities, campaign money, chief election commissioner, criminal background, dec 24, educational qualification, election expenses, elections in goa, flying squads, manipur, New Delhi, news conference, political parties, punjab, qureshi, upcoming elections, uttar pradesh, uttarakhand, video surveillance