Netanyahu’s heckler identifiedMay 25th, 2011 - 9:10 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, May 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The person who heckled Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu during his address to the joint session of the US Congress has been identified as Rae Abileah. During Mr. Netanyahu’s speech to the US Congress on Tuesday, Rae heckled the Prime Minister and the security wrestled him to the ground.
Reports say Rae was taken to the hospital before he was transferred to the jail for “disrupting Congress.” The reports say the man was taken to jail after the arrest because he was “assaulted and tackled” when the security moved in to arrest him.
Netanyahu is in the United States where he met President Barack Obama shortly before the president left for a tour in Europe. Both leaders admitted for the first time that the U.S. and Israel have differences regarding the resolution of the dispute between the Israelis and the Palestinians.
During an address at AIPAC, Obama again mentioned that America believes that any peace deal between the Israelis and the Palestinians should be based on the 1967 borders of the two countries. Netanyahu rejected the demand when he met the US Congress saying his country is ready to make “painful” concessions in a bid to reach an agreement with the Palestinians. He however maintains that any agreement should exclude Hamas and should recognize Jerusalem as the “united” capital of Israel.
- Israel to be generous in Palestine deal: Netanyahu - May 25, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- We can't wait long for diplomacy to work: Israel PM - Mar 06, 2012
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Obama advocates two-state solution in Middle East - May 20, 2011
- Sarkozy calls Israeli PM Netanyahu a liar - Nov 08, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Obama convenes Mideast peace talks - Sep 01, 2010
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Israel to offer "extensive and tempting" withdrawal plan to Palestine - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: barack obama, binyamin netanyahu, borders, capital of israel, concessions, hamas, heckler, israel, israeli prime minister, israelis, jerusalem, joint session, mr netanyahu, palestinians, peace deal, rae abileah, tour in europe, united capital, united states, us congress